Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Collaberation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArizonaRedneck

Programmer
Oct 25, 2004
US
I was the only developer at my work since I started. I have always worked as the only .net developer in my previous jobs as well. My work just hired another developer. I have visual studio on both machines so we each work on web sites locally. The problem that I'm faced with is that we both work on the same sites. I don't want to be working on the same site as him at the same time (for obvious reasons). Is there something built into .net or some freeware? Basically, what is the best way to address this problem?

Thanks.

-
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

I'm a big fan of Visual Source Safe. It comes with Visual Studio, but I'm not sure in which packages. It takes some getting used to, but it's integration into the .Net development environment, solid history, and ease of use make it a great product (IMO).

There are open source and freeware option available if you don't have VSS. And I imagine Chip and others will be along any moment to promote their tools of choice ;)

-Rick

----------------------

thanks Rick. I have installed VS 2002 and I don't seem to have VSS. Do I have to find it on one of the cds and install it manually or is it not included with this version of .net?

-
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

There are different versions of Visual Studio 2k2 (2k3 and 2k5). Academic, Professional, Enterprise Developer, and Enterprise Architect. I beleive both of the Enterprise editions come with VSS.

-Rick

----------------------

also... I would like to have it set up so that there is just one folder for the project on a network drive so that we don't have 3 different copies of it floating around. When I try to open the project from the drive I get the message

"unable to open web project <name>. the file path <path> does not correspond to the url <localhost>. the two need to map to the same server location. HTTP Error 404: Object not found"

Is it posable to run the project from the remote drive? If not, will Visual Source Safe make sure that the two local copies are kept up to date with the one on the server. I have never used VSS and thus am not familiar with its capabilities.

thanks for your assistance

-

You can run the app from a network drive. Add a virtual folder to you web server, set the physical location to some folder on your network.

You may want to check on the ASP/ASP.Net forums to see what kind of setups web developers use for colaboration as adding a web server to the mix makes it a little different then just standard application development.

-Rick

----------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back