Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ColdFusion on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

giahan

Programmer
Sep 1, 2000
US
I have been using Coldfusion 4.0 running on NT server and IIS 4 for my web server. Now I have to change it to run on Linux. I have no idea about Linux and the webserver on Linux. Anyone has run it on Linux, please advice.

Thanks

GH

I use both on NT and on RedHat 7(linux), It works fine. I found that the documentation is 99% geared towards NT. A couple other limitations I don't like as much as the NT version, is the ODBC datasources are limited.

I use both also.

When I started at the shop I am currently at, they only ran 4.0 on a Sun Solaris. I quickly lobbied to get a new server, Windows with CF4.5. I then moved the CF apps that I could to the Windows box, and replaced the Sun box with a Linux box and CF4.5. Cut my down time to next to nothing.

My advice, pray. With the exception of CFFile, CFDirectory, and a few cgi variables, moving from Linux/Unix to NT is a breeze. Going the other way can be a bit more difficult. If you are indeed moving your apps, I recommend using CFStudio to do extended finds on your directories to locate the problem tags and cgi variable usage as a good starting point. As for locating caps problems in file names, I'd find a subordinate that can't tell you no. It's not the most fun job in the world.

Anyhow, I've probably offended someone, or bored someone, or told you things you already know.

Good Luck!

I have been running CF4.5 on an NT server. I had to upload my application to a production server elsewhere which runs on Unix and many bugs have been reported in my application. Note: the application which connects to an Oracle database ran perfectly well in the NT environment.
Other than obtaining Unix and moving my application over to test and debug, is there any other option? I'd appreciate any suggestions as I had initially been given the impression that coldfusion would run the same way on NT and on Unix, so I've expended time and energy developing on NT.
Pls help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mowunmi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back