Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ColdFusion 5 VS ColdFusion MX

Status
Not open for further replies.

i2k2

Programmer
Nov 9, 2002
AE
Hi everybody,
I'm a ColdFusion 5 developer, but didn't get into MX yet. I wanna know the main differences between ColdFusion 5 and ColdFusion MX. I appreciate your replies. --------
i2k2

Behind the scenes? MX runs on java and is J2EE (at least spec 1) compliant (open standard). Version 5 was proprietary...ummmm... C++ (??) code. This generally makes IT departments happier and gives them warm fuzzies.

For the developer: MX does seem to perform better (faster, more stable). It also has XML processing built in (a joy to use... at least for simple projects... the absolute main reason we upgraded), and greatly enhanced support for Flash. It can play a whole lot better with JSPs and servlets. MX also has the CFFUNCTION... so you can write user-defined functions the right way... something I've been wanting for years.

That's pretty much sold me. For more technical details, you can look here: or here: for comparisons.
Hope it helps,
-Carl

If I might add to what Carl has said. Since Coldfusion is now based on top of a J2EE server this means that your cfm pages are executed vs compiled. The first time a webpage is requested via the webserver it is compiled into java bytecode and executed. Each additional request(provided you haven't changed the webpage) is executed instead of being interperted. The first time a page is requested it will take a little longer, but after the first request it is much faster. Another point is that Macromedia hasn't fully dislosed, what based on J2EE technology means. Carl noted that CFMX plays "nicer" with jsp and servlets, and while this is true I do not belive MM has been forthcomming with infomation about Java integration.

If you are going to depoly CFMX on a linux box in your production box, I would think twice before doing it. Here is the reason why:

I have lost a tremendous amount of faith in MM over this.

jgroove

With that being said, we upgraded for the xml, flash and cfc support that Carl mentions and have been very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back