Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ColdFusion 4.5.x NT vs Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyboy999

Programmer
Jul 28, 2000
US
I've been searching for a while and the last article or posting anywhere comparing ColdFusion Server on an NT box to Linux was actually NT vs Sun for 4.0.&nbsp;&nbsp;Needless to say, NT beat easily.&nbsp;&nbsp;I was wondering if anyone has or knows of a comparison on identical boxes of ColdFusion Server 4.5.x running NT versus Linux.&nbsp;&nbsp;It would be great if both were also running the respective versions of Oracle.<br><br>Just curious!<br>Thanks

NT will always win, Linux just isn't powerful enough for CF. It could cope with small sites, but anything with heavy database use and high traffic and it dies. <br>Linux is not a true multi-tasking OS like NT.<br><br>We were running a site on Linux and CF and it dies horribly, had to re-write everything in PHP<br><br> <p>Russ Michaels<br><a href=mailto:russ@satachi.com>russ@satachi.com</a><br><a href= Internet Development</a><br>For my personal book recommendations visit <br>

On this note, is anybody running CF on a Raq3?<br><br>Garry

We just switched our Cold Fusion over to Linux from NT and am VERY happy with the results. The dailly security scans now pass happily along where with NT and IIS I almost dailly had something to do.

As for relitive power Linux takes far less system resources to do the same thing as NT. Whether the Cold Fusion server code is as efficient on Linux is something we are still establishing. The base OS however is MUCH more powerfull and secure and Linux is much more configurable which means if I'm willing to get my hands dirty I can make it even more efficient.

Thats my two cents on the topic. I have no idea where
the previous poster got the opinion NT was more powerfull. NT takes more system resources, has more bugs, fewer features, has a manditory GUI, is less
secure, is updated far less often, has little native support for customization, is impossible to customize
in many areas. How this is supposed to be more
powerfull is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back