Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cold site disaster Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMikeX

MIS
Apr 10, 2003
US
Hello,
We have had commvault Galaxy on Windows for about 2 months... we have a disaster recovery test coming up in a couple of months...and we are beginning the preparations. I am able to find documentation for a "hot site" type recovery...but we wont be doing that. Basically we will have a bunch Windows servers ready for us... we have to recover Commvault then AD etc... does anyone have a white paper/document that might help.
Looking into classes...but it doesnt look good on our going prior to the test....
Thanks for any help you all can provide.

load CV commcell

recover DR db from tape using media explorer utility or if your DB is small enough you can rotate it out on thumb drives to offsite storage.

once db is recovered, setup your media agent and new library

Migrate your media to the new library

Load clients and start restoring
Restore AD first

We do this yearly at IBM's data recovery center (NY) works like a champ.
Biggest thing to remember is to get to the same patch level that you use in your production environment
With Commvault I have always worked on the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" principle. I Mean do not patch just to be patching... I stay current on SP's but I only apply the other patches to fix issues. I read the weekly patch dispatch emails from CV and see if there is anything there that will fix any open issue I have. If not, I move on.

I think Birky might have aquired some docs in his travels :)

Thanks.. That was the way I was guessing it needed to be done... but its nice to know that it works...we also test in NY at IBM... should be fun.
Thanks again.

Can't really add much else but, ensure that you only install the CommServe and nothing else (if it's shared with other CV agents ie. Media Agent/ FileSystem agent etc)...once you have restored your dmp file back then you reinstall the other agents

Try and keep the CommServe hostname/ IP address the same as well...saves you a lot of hassle

Birky
CommVault Certified Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back