Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cognos Series 7.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gset

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
CH
Hi all,

Cognos has publiched release 7.1 on their web site.
The install folder is 'cer3'. It is not an upgrade for 'cer2'. It is a new version.

No easy migration path... once more! :-(

Does anyone has tested it?
Does anyone has an idea of a first reliable release?

Graham.

Actually, the Cognos website is calling it Series 7 Version 2. It will be available in March 2003. Not much there on the improvements or additional features to make it a 'must-do' upgrade. I'll nose around some and see if I can find anything to post here on the differences.

Dave Grifin
The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ20-2863 first!

I had heard at a Cognos presentation of some of the features, of which two for PowerPlay stuck in my memory.
Hiearchical or drill-down measures
Time-based partitioning of cubes to allow shortening of large cube builds - just build that of the most recent period and keep the historical ones.
But Dave, i agree with you, it sounds like something more than MR3, yet not a sine qua non.
lex

We just downloaded it and installed it on our Dev server.

1) The Upfront is VERY different. Has drag and drop capability MUCH like powerplay. They are essentially putting all efforts into expanding on the Upfront experience/ thin client rather than Powerplay windows client environment. This alone could make it a must upgrade (from 6.61).

2) NOT compatible with earlier cube versions..i.e. 7.2 powerplay is not compatible with a cube built or published in 6.61.

3) There is new functionality regarding forecasting...being able to "project" data into the future based on some statistical model (haven't looked into it yet).

I've noticed that 7.1 no longer supports Netscape Directory Server only Sun ONE and ADS. To upgrade from 6 I'm going to have to go to Series 7 and then to 7.1 and somewhere along the line either go to ADS or Sun ONE. Looks like FUN !!!

John

Are you sure of that John? Graham.

The 7.1 longer supports Netscape Directory Server.

More it's supporting iPlanet 5.1 (Sun ONE 5.1).

But the datastore of upfront has changed ... then be careful when you're updated !!!

Regarding just the powerplay windows client, are there any significant changes from 6.x to 7.x ?

It is also possible to do some forecasting with both PowerPlay Windows and PowerPlay Web. In Transformer you can put measures in folders and use virtual cubes. In Impromptu it is possible to resize your query dialog box. So in my opinion there is also a lot of new stuff in the Windows clients. All the new features can be found in a PDF called What's new in Series7 Version2

Downloaded the 7.1 version last thursday and played around with it. I'm rather enthousiastic about it for many reasons such as:
-Very much improved web interface for Powerplay including a dimension viewer, drag and drop and most of all sorting on row and column labels
-File upload in Upfront
-Forcasring possibilities in PP (web & client)
-Hierarchical measures in PPtransformer
-Resizeable query dialog box in impromptu client
-Zero footprint HTML report distributing in IWR (PDF still an option but html and XML reporting also possible)

Hi,

For info, it is not possible to build a server in 7.1 with Visualizer as this tool is not yet released at this level and not compatible with 7.0. Graham.

Strange , that no one mentions the Search function , in cube, which give you the capability to look for a Category in any level or dimension , and filter it , or replace Column/row. THis is one of the best improvement in 7.1

For information :

Visualizer would be change in 7.1 without applet java

RVLF,

What do you mean by that?
There won't be anymore Java Applet client for Vizualisations? Only HTML poor HTML client? Graham.

Yes Graham

No any applet in any products.

All products can make HTML or XML even IWR.

Viz will still have applet capability available. The addition of HTML and no applet allows for "true" zero footprint deployment.

NDS is essentially iPlanet/Sun

As far as the migration, it is detailed in the installation guides. You have the capability to run both 7.0 and 7.1 at the same time. You would use Deployment Manager to migrate your applications.

Cheers,

brownlec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back