Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cognos ReportNet and LDAP book 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josselin

Technical User
Feb 14, 2004
FR
Hi all,

Does Cognos ReportNet has the capability to connect to a LDAP book to manage access security?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Josselin

Not a 100% sure what you are referring to by book, but CRN has the ability to connect to almost all LDAP servers to leverage existing users. You will not be able to manage the LDAP server though as there is no write back ability.

Josselin,

I don't use ReportNet but I think you can manage access security with Access Manager. This product from cognos is specialy create to manage security with a LDAP book or by local authentification (lea) like you want.

At this moment, I use lea but I will pass to LDAP in a few week.
Give me some news, if it works or not.

Gilles

Keep in mind that Access Manager only handles the Cognos security data, not any existing corporate data.

Hi flex13,

When you say ReportNet "has the ability to connect to almost all LDAP servers to leverage existing users", does this mean that ReportNet does not support certain LDAP servers?
If so, what kind of LDAP servers are not supported?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Josselin.

we are using ReportNet , and It s connected to our LDAP installed in iPlanet. ReportNet can use the same security as your upfront is using.
So ReportNet can use Access Manager users and user-classes for the security.

From the ReportNet conformance document.

LDAP version 3 is supported.
Note: ReportNet ‘generic’ LDAP support should work with any LDAP version 3 directory servers. It is only tested with Netscape/iPlanet/Sun ONE.

Hi,

I am trying to configure my reportnet version 1.02 with iplanet server. I am not successful so far. Can anyone help me in telling what are all the settings I have to make. The same iplanet server is working fine with my cognos series 7 version 2 products.

Thanks,
Karthik

Thaknks & Regards
Karthik

- Use an LDAP authentication provider.
- Make sure that the Base distinguished name is entered correctly. This can be found in IPlanet and will look something liks dc=company,dc=com
- For the user lookup string, enter (uid={$userID})

What happens is when you log in, $userID gets replaced by the value put in the dialog box on the web. Then that string uid=loginname gets passed to the directory server with the base dn appended.

Hi flex,

i tried this but it still is not able to get the authentication properly. is it possible that i send you the screenshot of my config so that you can tell me what i am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Karthik

Thaknks & Regards
Karthik

When I try entering my Base Distinguished name, I get an error as I can see at the bottom of the dialog box "Authentication Data Not Found". What does that mean. Where am I going Wrong? Please help.
- Thank you,
Swetab Sharma.

It means that during the schema extension process, the namespace was not created. You may have the wrong base Dn set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back