Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cognos locking up sql server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2002
US
Good morning all,

I have run into a very strange issue. When I run an Impromptu report from one workstation it finishes and then once it is displayed on the user's workstation it locks up the sql server. If I run the reports from any other workstation it runs fine. This is a new Dell workstation...

Any suggestions?

Hi kodaksmile,

I am not sure which part you mean of SQL server it locks up...is it the table that is locked ? or another part of the server ?...also, why do you say it locks up the SQL server...are you trying to do something else on the same workstation as well like opening the same or another report in Impromptu because that will definiately lock the report...? Let me know...:)

Set up on the catalog, if you look at user profiles. There is a tab called database, then on the database transaction, click on the start transaction with isolation level and set this to read uncommitted.

This should stop it locking the table when a report is running

Hope this helps

Thanks

Paul

Thanks for your suggestions - I really meant the entire sql server locks up to the point that you cannot get into the server via enterprise manager or terminal server. I found the fix - when they imaged the new machines they used the 2.8 mdac but did not apply the security patch. Once I applied the service patch it no longer locked up the sql server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back