Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cognos 8 Report Studio - No Children allowed in tabular models??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksolutions

Technical User
Feb 8, 2006
US
I built a report in Cognos 7 Report Studio. The report has a tabular model which has children in it. I migrated my environment to ReportNet 8 recently, and the report that I built doesn't work. Cognos support tells me that the way I built my report isn't supported anymore.

If that's the case, what functionality replaced the ability to have children in tabular models?

The reason I used children was because each child could act like its own filtered query - in other words, I could have many different data items all over my report and could also have calculations between them.

Ugh!

Hi,

Cognos 8 has simplified the structures used in Report Studio reports. Instead of having a query with a tabular model child, there is now just a query, containing essentially what was in the Tabular Model in ReportNet. To achieve what you are looking for, add two queries to your report containing the data you previously had in your child tabular models, then join them using a join object, bringing the results into a new query (which replaces the higher-level tabular model). Overall you can achieve the same end results as in ReportNet, but using multiple queries rather than multiple tabular objects.

Best regards,

MF.

I just wanted to say thank you for the help - it seems that I can only join 2 queries up into the new query, so if I have 8 separate queries, I'll need to bring them 2 and a time into a new query (ending up with 4 new queries), then bring those 2 at a time into a new query (ending up with 2 new queries) and then I'll be able to join those together into 1 final query? Am I getting this right? (I hope you understand what I'm trying to say)

In other words:

8 queries = 4 queries = 2 queries = 1 final query

And ... does it generate a single sql? My friend was saying that Cognos generated multiple sqls for the above scenario.

is it true? any work arounds?

Prasad
RPrasad1@Chn.Cognizant.com

Yes - you can only join 2 queries at a time, so you'd need to join the 8 up into 4, then these 4 into 2, then finally these 2 to your main query.

As long as you bring items into your report container (list, crosstab, chart etc)from the main query, you will normally find one single SQL is used, treating the queries at the level below as derived tables (which in turn use the queries below them as derived tables, etc). The normal exception to this is if the queries are fed from different datasources.

Regards,

MF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back