Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cognos 8 courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

collierd2

MIS
Feb 26, 2007
DE
Hello

I use Cognos 7 for cube derivation and have experience with transformer, impromptu and powerplay.
We are now looking to move to Cognos 8 and I really need fasttrack training (pretty urgent).
I know Cognos do courses but are there any other companies out there to recommend - this will give me more options with dates and locations.
I have a preference for the Leeds area, although this may be too specific so I appreciate I could end up anywhere (UK)

Could anybody recommend a course - I need all round knowledge

Thanks.

I can tell you this, you won't need any additional training for Transformer, Cognos 8 Transformer is Cognos 7.4 Transformer, and nothing much has really changed. Things got better, but nothing you couldn't handle. Check and their services area, they may still offer what they call Fast Track training. Used to be a week long course covering FM modeling to how to write a report in Report Studio and even Metrics Studio.

Hi,

FastTrack courses are definitely still being run by Cognos in the UK. They cover Query Studio, Analysis Studio, Report Studio, Event Studio, Framework Manager, Content Administration, and even Cognos GO Office if there's time. I guess your nearest Cognos training centre would be in Manchester.

I'm not aware of any other training courses offering similar content from non-Cognos centres at present.

Best regards,

MF.

I think heading to a Cognos training center will be your best bet in this case. You will get more information from them than anyone else in a short period of time.

Thanks for the advice
I do have a preference for a Cognos training centre
MF, you mention Query Studio, Analysis Studio, Report Studio, Event Studio, Framework Manager, Content Administration, and even Cognos GO Office if there's time
Is that one all encompassing course?

Yes it is. It's all included in the Cognos 8 FastTrack course. It's quite an intense week!

Here's the description of the course from the Cognos website:

MF.

Cognos 8 BI Authoring and Modelling Fast Track

Description:
The Cognos 8 BI Authoring and Modelling Fast Track is a 5-day, instructor-led course that provides accelerated training on authoring and modeling for Cognos 8. Through hands-on workshops, you will learn to create reports in Query Studio and Report Studio, analyze data using Analysis Studio, build models using Framework Manager and administer the reporting environment. The course provides a rapid path to understanding a wide range of Administration and Design activities in Cognos 8. For advanced modeling and complex reporting training, participants would follow the Fast Track with Cognos 8 BI Report Authoring - Part 2 and Cognos 8 BI Metadata Modeling - Part 2. These courses compliment the Fast Track foundation providing advanced content, best practices, and the groundwork for those pursuing product certification.. Topics covered
Overview of Cognos 8 BI
Introduction to Cognos Connection
Introduction to Query Studio
Create reports in Query Studio
Analysis Studio fundamentals
Explore and analyze your data
Introduction to the reporting application
Present data graphically
Focus reports using filters
Focus reports using prompts
Design effective reports
Use additional report building techniques
Design reports using queries
Customize reports with conditional formatting
Enhance report layout
Introduction to Framework Manager
Prepare metadata in Framework Manager
Model for predictable results
Create business views in Framework Manager
Set security in Framework Manager
Manage OLAP data sources
Explore administration fundamentals
Administer security
Manage content
Use the Cognos 8 SDK (optional)

Intended Audience
Those responsible for both reporting authoring and model creation.

Prerequisites:
Knowledge of your business requirements
Experience using the Windows operating system and a Web browser
Knowledge of relational data sources, SQL, and data modelling
Knowledge of Web application server architecture and security systems administration
Web technologies (such as XML, HTML)

Thanks for the advice
Cognos 8 BI Authoring and Modelling Fast Track certainly sounds like the most useful course at this stage

Damian.

I'm in a situation where I have Report Studio experience but I'm not an expert. I have been asked to create packages against our live transactional database, ie model the data, and I'm very raw with my Framework experience. So would you recommend the fasttrack course or the metadata modeling course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back