Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COGNOS 8.2 Analysis URI Gateway error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2005
GB
Hopefully someone will be able to help me.

I have installed COGNOS 8.2 Analysis onto a machine and configure an SQL2005 database as per installation guide.

I correctly set the web folders and the database permissions are fine, as C8 creates the required tables.

When start the service and try to connect to I get the following error:

----------------------------------------------------------
The Cognos Gateway is unable to connect to the Cognos BI server. The server may be unavailable, or the gateway may not be correctly configured.

Please try again or contact your administrator.

looking at the configuration, I think the error is something to do with the Dispatcher URIs for gateway. It makes refence by default to
BUT!, there is no p2pd directory in the webcontent folder??? Also do I need to configure port 9300, the installation guide doesn't mention it.

I'm I missing some software??? From what I gather I should have everying I need to run COGNOS 8.2 Analysis on a single machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

First thing to try, is to see if your IIS server dislikes cgi for some reason. For that open up the portal via:

If that does not help:
Open cognos configuration, stop the service via the black square, and restart it via the freen triangle.
During startup it will give a popup including a "details" button, which will give you the details of all the components started inside Cognos 8.
Does the detail screen give everything as succesfull?

If succesfull, open your browser to the adres:

If the logic is up and running, it should show you an ugly but running Cognos 8 portal. (the logic has a built in webserver running on port 9300)

If the ugly portal shows up, your logic is running fine and you should doublecheck your IIS settings.

If it does not show up, open up file C:\Program Files\Cognos\c8\bin\logviewV2.exe and open logfile C:\Program Files\Cognos\c8\logs\cogserver.log
(to get the cleanest indication in that logfile, it's best to stop your c8 service, rename the existing cogserver.log to .old and starting your cognos 8 service again to get fresh info)

From there try to analyse the logging errors.
Most important ones are the references to the cognos errors looking something like XX-YYY-ZZ and pasting those together with your regular error in Cognos support.

Stefan

Hi,

Thanks for replying first of all, I'm greatful for the help!!

I've put some more information on my configuration at the following address:

When I test the enviroment setup, it all seems to be ok. What is an issue though, is when I start the service it appears to fail to start. I get the following error in the cognos configuration manager:

[Start Service]
1. [ ERROR ] CFG-ERR-0106 Cognos Configuration did not receive a response from the Cognos 8 service in the time allotted.
Check that Cognos 8 service is available and properly configured.
[/color/

but, when I look at the service in the windows service management console, it shows the COGNOS 8 serice as started?!

Also, I looked for the cogserver.log file, but it doesn;t appear to create one? (think this might be linked to the time issue).

I beleive the issue is something related to the dispatcher. I can find the "p2pd/servlet/dispatch/ext" directory in the webcontent folder?? ( i have as I say installed as per instructions).

when i try to connect to " I get page cannot be displayed.

Also, I've tested the content database connection (SQL2005) which is successful and it's created tables in the database, so I don't think thats an issue.

How much memory is in your server, and how much is available? (taskmanager)
The java stack set at environment\cognos 8 service\Cognos 8\maximum memory in MB is the the amount the service will try to allocate agianst the OS at startup.
If you do not have so much memory, overwrite the default 768 value with 512 and try to start the service again.

Stefan

total memory (K): 2086952
Available (K): 1538140

I've tried setting the maximum memory to 512 MB, but haven't had any luck.

Should not have a p2pd directory though?

Could you make sure that the correct java engine is loaded for Cognos 8, by adding the following system variable in your OS setup:
name: JAVA_HOME
value: C:\Program Files\Cognos\c8\bin\jre\1.4.2

Stefan

seems better, but not quite there yet.

I now get the following info when starting the service in the details section:

[Start Service]
1. 10:06:53, 'LogService', 'StartService', 'Success'.
2. 10:06:58, 'ContentManagerService', 'StartService', 'Success'.
3. 10:06:58, CM-SYS-5159 Content Manager is running in active mode.
4. 10:07:00, DPR-DPR-1002 Successfully registered the dispatcher in Content Manager.
5. 10:07:01, 'reportDataService', 'StartService', 'Success'.
6. 10:07:01, 'Cubics Service', 'StartService', 'Success'.
7. 10:07:01, 'ReportService', 'StartService', 'Success'.
8. 10:07:01, 'BatchReportService', 'StartService', 'Success'.
9. 10:07:02, 'AgentService', 'StartService', 'Success'.
10. 10:07:02, 'JobService', 'StartService', 'Success'.
11. 10:07:02, 'EventService', 'StartService', 'Success'.
12. 10:07:02, 'DeliveryService', 'StartService', 'Success'.
13. 10:07:02, 'MonitorService', 'StartService', 'Success'.
14. 10:07:02, 'com.cognos.pogo.services.DefaultHandlerService', 'pogo', 'Failure'.
DPR-DPR-1035 Dispatcher detected an error.

15. 10:07:02, 'CPS Producer Registration Service', 'StartService', 'Success'.

attempting to connect to the portal I get the following error:

DPR-ERR-2022 No response generated. This may be due to an incorrect configuration, a damaged installation, or because the dispatcher did not finish initializing

I've tried using the IP address for the dispatcher address with no success.

Sorry; there is not much i can pick from the cogserver.log.
Back to the drawingboard. The fact that you needed to set the java path to get further, means you're not exactly running a simple clean server install.
Can you descrive all steps you took and what you installed, after the OS setup?

Stefan

without going into finite detail,

it was essentially:

1. install SQL2005 on the server
2. configure a contentstore DB and setup a login, which is assigned the default schema of cognos 8 and also owns the schema with the db_ddladmin, db_datawriter and db_datareader and also db_owner.
then installed the cognos 8.2 BI Analysis (simply installed as prompted, but didn't install the content db as I was going to use the sql server db.

installed java (initailly I'd installed 1.6 jre, but after your suggestion I uninstalled and installed jre 1.4 just in case this caused an issue).

I'm using sql2005, will the include jdbc driver work ok or could this be a possible issue?

(i'll try pointing to a db on an sql2000 db and let you know how i get on.

I could if neccessary do a reinstall, as i've now got a few more things i can look at when I configure.

thanks.

no luck with using a sql2000 db

creates the tables etc, but same error when I try to run it

If you have IIS server , have you set the permission for IIS to execute the ISAPI or dll ?

yeah I set the web extensions to allow all unknow cgi and isapi.

Been doing some more digging on the error I get when I go to mypc/cognos8.

I found this artical on the COGNOS support site, but when I looked at the zip file, the zip file doesn't contain system.xml

(I'm trying to install the C8 BI Analysis on a single machine install). Should this file exist? do you have the file?

Title:
Error when attempting to connect to Cognos Connection: DPR-ERR-2022 - Damaged Install

Document#:

Updated:
May 24, 2007

Applies To:
Cognos 8 BI Cognos Connection 8.1 | Cognos 8 BI Cognos Connection 8.2 | Cognos 8 BI Install and Config 8.1 | Cognos 8 BI Install and Config 8.2 | Cognos 8 BI Metric Studio 8.1 | Cognos 8 BI Report Studio 8.1 | Cognos ReportNet 1.02 | Cognos ReportNet 1.02MR1 | Cognos ReportNet 1.1 | Cognos ReportNet 1.1MR1 | Cognos ReportNet 1.1MR2 | Cognos ReportNet 1.1MR3

Cases:

Collection:
KB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:

When attempting to connect to Cognos Connection, an error message is presented.

All processes and services appear to have started normally.

Error Message

DPR-ERR-2022 No response generated. This may be due to an incorrect configuration, a damaged installation, or because the dispatcher did not finish initializing.

Root Cause:

This may be the result of a corrupted system.xml file within the <crn install>\templates\ps\portal directory. The problem can be related either to poorly formed XML, or invalid edits within this file.

Solution:

Potential solutions:

Solution 1:

The system.xml file may have been modified incorrectly. Attempt to open the file in an XML parser, such as Internet Explorer. If the file does not contain well-formed XML, then an error will be presented.

The preferred method of correcting this file would be to replace it with the most recent, non-corrupted version from backup.

If there are no backups of this file, it is located on the Installation Media for Reportnet, from the zipfiles\ps-win32-app-XXXX-inst.tar.gz compressed archive, where XXXX is the appropriate component version for the version of Cognos ReportNet or Cognos 8.

A restart of the Cognos services will be required after restoring the system.xml file.

Solution 2:

If the file opens correctly in an XML parser (see solution 1 - above):

If there have been edits made to the system.xml file and if your environment is a distributed multi-server install, ensure the same edits are carried out on each server.
Again, a restart of the Cognos services will be required after editing the system.xml file.
Ensure you start the computers in the correct order, Content Manager computers first, then application tier computers, then the gateway computers. You must start the Content Manager computers first, as this ensures that the certificate authority service is available to issues certificates to the the other Cognos ReportNet or Cognos 8 computers.
Solution 3:

Ensure there are no double-dashes or double-hyphens (--) within any XML comments that have been added to the file. For example, the following comment will cause this error

<!--

--Double dash is not supported

-->

A double-dash (--) prefixed as shown is not supported in an XML comment due to compatibilty reasons

and installed jre 1.4"
Cognos 8 bi comes with java 1.4 included. In what folder did you install your java in, and is it mentioned in the system path settings?
Have you tried deinstalling that 1.4 java engine?

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I've tried pointing Java_HOME to C:\Program Files\Java\jre_1.4.2 and copying bc*** file from the cognos directory.

I've also tried pointing JAVA_HOME to C:\Program Files\cognos\c8\bin\jre\1.4.2

i've also uninstalled the jre 1.4.2 that I installed and pointed JAVA_HOME to C:\Program Files\cognos\c8\bin\jre\1.4.2.

Still no luck unfortunately.

could this system.xml be and issue? I just wondering if not all files have been extracted properly

Your system.xml should be within Program Files\cognos\c8\templates\ps - do you have it, or is it missing from there too?

MF.

no it's missing, but I looked for it in the install source files, but it wasn't there either. Is it required for all versions of C8

(This is a onebox intallation though - so I don't know if thats the reason - I don't know that much about COGNOS 8)

If you do a search below Program Files\cognos\c8\templates\ps does it exist in any of the subfolders?

Yes.

I've found it in the following locations:

C:\Program Files\cognos\c8\templates\ps\cps4\common

C:\Program Files\cognos\c8\templates\ps\cps4\portlets\portal-admin

C:\Program Files\cognos\c8\templates\ps\cps4\producer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back