Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Codegen vs Mercury PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsmaeelTheUnheardOf

Technical User
Oct 31, 2005
HU
Hello,
I have 2 PSU's at the moment, and I was wondering which is better to use in a P4 celeron 1700 system (abit sa7, gf4mx, 1 hdd) ? A nearly 3 year old 300W Codegen, or a 6 months old 400W Mercury ?
The PC ran with the codegen for 2.5 years, 300W is perfectly enough. The only reason to change to the Mercury is that its newer.
Is the Codegen likely to fail after 3 years, and fry the whole PC in an instant ?
I'd prefer the codegen because he mercury produces more heat and noise.

If the system is running you are less likely to break something if you leave is alone.

IsmaeelTheUnheardOf
Both are cheap generic brands but the Codegen is the slightly better (brand) of the two.
The 300watters(Codegens)that used to come in our 8870 cases were very reliable and occasionally when they did fail they rarely damaged anything else.
Now when they changed to 350watt we had many times more failures (strange) But again very rarely damaged anything.
Now the very latest cases are coming with 400watt Codegens, these seem to be pretty good, time will tell.
As for Mercury, I've seen a few come through in various cheap cases, the ones I've seen look very flimsy and poor but we haven't used that many to know how reliable they are.
Bottom line is that neither are particularly good, so I would recommend a better brand long term, like Antec, Enermax, Fortron Source, Jeantech, Zalman, Chieftech, Thermaltake, Sparkle, Channel Well Technology, Tagen etc etc
But for now on your low demanding rig stick with the Codegen.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back