Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Codec to play DVD movies in Windows XP Media player 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocaire

Technical User
Oct 16, 2005
I had erroneously assumed that Windows Media Player could play conventional DVD movie disks. But I see now that I need to install a suitable codec(s) to do so.

I see lots of choices out there, and even some free ones.

Can I get some recommendations in this area.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bocaire

Thanks for the two links. I had spotted the first one in a Google search, but not the second.

Which of the two are you currently using?

The reviews I saw on K-lite were a bit mixed. I got some Google hits on reviews for XP Codec Pack, and they looked better.

Bocaire

And for an alternative to Windows Media Player that plays DVDs and provides quite a few more features during playback, check out KMPlayer:

And for a list of others, check out:

[thumbsup2]

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I went to a listing of feedback reviews for KM Player. There wasn't a bad one in the lot - everyone had only great things to say about it.

I've downloaded the full ZIP file. But, I see no "setup" file in the list of files inside the ZIP. What does one do to install from this download?

I guess I should have downloaded the install file. Is the kmplayer.exe file in that list, the install file or the actual run file for the software?

Bocaire

I'm not sure. I grabbed the full install the last time I was out there.

You can try extracting the zip file into a temporary folder (create one if you need to). Then look at all the EXE files. It might not be called setup or install.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back