Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Codec - how to change - Broadband Users - Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcNC

MIS
Oct 30, 2004
US
Hi:

I've been trying to get my remote phones which come in via VPN and are connected via Broadband to work better.

My friends (I live in Raleigh) are all Cisco people and they suggested that I change my Codec.

I can't find where I change it.
Can I?

Thanks

Your Cisco Friends may not know 3Com wares so you may need to look at a few things in your NBX box and configuration.

1. What NBX OS are you running ?
2. How many remote phones are coming in via VPN ?
3. Which telephone models (3C numbers)
4. You didn't mention the gear at both ends- what do you have specifically ????? NBX connected to ... phones connected to....

The older I get, the less I know

Release r4.1.71
Just two remote phones
2102 phones
All Sonicwall firewall with hardware VPNs.

The Cisco guys are saying their stuff runs fine with 200ms latency...
I'm having issues with 100ms latency.

Of course Cisco runs fine- just not for Merrill Lynch.

Anyway- itz all fluff.

Here's what you may want to do:

1. I dont support 3Com but I do support getting things done in spite of something I don't like. Spend the $200 and get the site license for 4.2 software and upgrade to 4.3.5

2. You have NEWer phones but you need to look at:

[A] System-wide Silence Suppression Reduces the number of packets transmitted during a conversation by not transmitting packets during times of silence during a conversation. Enabling this check box enables silence suppression on all conversations. ENABLE this.

System-wide Audio Compression The system-wide compression setting affects all telephone, analog terminal adapter, and analog and digital line card calls unless that setting is different at the device level.

Values:
None - G711 - No compression, G.711 (MULAW) audio encoding
Med - ADPCM - Medium compression, ADPCM audio encoding
High - G729 - High compression, G.729 audio encoding.
The default system-wide compression setting is None - G711.

CONSIDER THIS BEFORE IMPLEMENTING CHANGE.

[C] Bandwidth Considerations - You can decrease the number of packets generated by this phone by enabling compression and disabling certain system features.

NOTE: NBX system default settings ensure high quality audio under a range of operating conditions. You should not change any bandwidth settings unless you have audio quality or bandwidth constraint issues that cannot be resolved through other means. If you are connecting a telephone to the NBX system through a broadband connection from a remote location, such as a home office, through a router/firewall device, do not enable the Low Bandwidth settings.

Audio Compression

Default - The system-wide setting
None - G711 - No compression, G.711 (MULAW) audio encoding
Med - ADPCM - Medium compression, ADPCM audio encoding
High - G729 - High compression, G.729 audio encoding.

I am still unclear about your LAN~WAN. What switches are you using ?

What specific issues are you having ?

- System Wide Audio Compression
I can't find that setting
Is this only have I Upgrade to 4.3.5?

[C] - Bandwidth Considerations
Your Note you say to NOT enable low bandwidth.
Why?

Let me answer your last question as to what I am trying to fix

My phones on the LAN (100MB/10MB through an HP 4OOOM J4121A Switch) work just fine. Quality is great - no issues in the office.

My issue is the remote phones coming in via Broadband and VPN.
They work as long as the latency stays under 100 ms.
The minute I get an latency over 120 the other party can't hear the person talking on the IP phone. It seems we can usually hear the remote person but they start asking if we are on a cell phone.

The latency is clearly on the number of hops that the broadband users have to go through. 22 in some cases.

So I've change the Silence setting and the Cisco guys told me to change my Codec to the G729 and that would help my problem. But I can't find that setting to try it. IS this only available on a later release?

Do you know at which release did this become an option?

Also, why are you saying to NOT turn on the Low Bandwidth setting?

Thanks again
Thanks again so very much for you help !!!

System Wide Silence is NetSet/System Config/System Wide on earlier releases and it's NOW moved to NetSet/System Config/Audio Settings in 4.2x

The G729 becomes somewhere in 4.2x and I lost track- after so many releases. It's there in 4.3.5 because I turned it on after this post to play around.

The notes I posted above are from 3Com NBX NetSet HELP- that's why it's stated. Cable and low bandwidth settings are not likely to get what you want...unless you give something up such as is noted on the COnf/ DSS/BLF.

What about at the remote site ? Are the phones on a SWITCH ????? NO HUBS- no, not ever.

Ok..
I'm going to order the new 4.3.5.
Anyone you can recommend to buy it from?

Thanks again for you help.
I'll post back here after I've tried what you suggested.

SHop around for the license and for getting the updates you may want to try that's where I get my updates using their subscription services.

Other Notes: you need a switch at the remote end too. Also goto and get their two downloads NBXMCAST aka NBX FLYFish and the notes:

Run the application at the remote end and make sure you are getting the NCP date/time stamp every few seconds...if not you may have firewall, router, ISP issue since 100 ms is acceptable. Also turn OFF AutoNegotiation on the ports for the phones and NCP--just doesn't work right. You may have some issues but they don't add up when it comes to 100-120 ms because I get 80ms going 4.5 miles via the internet to my home and it varies equally with the number of hops. So--- looking maybe somewhere else, even the phones. Also- are you using IP-on-the Fly and do you have your IP pool populated on the NBX in the same SNM ? Keep looking but yes- the 4.3.5 is attractive I just don't think it will answer the problem/issue. Just for fun- check the cabling too and are you dropping packets or can you see too many CRC errors on the switch ports ? (This is why managed switches are a must in IP telephony)

I highly recommend trying out a 3rd party product to the NBX for just this type of connection. We use Crystal Voice, which gaurantees COS over the internet for the NBX. We have users using it on everythig from Dial-up 56k to broadband and it works great.

Just my $.03.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back