Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Codec G729a vs G729b

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdmphone

Technical User
May 21, 2007
US
We will be working with a vendor that will be taking inbound calls for my contact center. The calls will come into my S8700 and the skill to agents in Guatemala. Agents in Guatemala will be agents and 4620 IP phones off of the S8700 in MN. We will have a 40 Mbps connection between our facility and theirs this will be used for voice and data back to our data center. The issue we are having is the setting of G729a vs G729b. My Avaya BP recommends G729a, the vendor in Guatemala states that the use G729b, the bandwidth is 8 mbps vs 20-30. Has anyone set up a configuration like this and what have you been recommended? Can anyone tell me what they have experienced for bandwidth or any issues they have going one vs the other? Thanks

How many calls will be on this trunk at this same time?

If you have a 40 Meg pipe, I would use G.711. Uncompressed audio will sound much better.

I took a look at my codec's. I use G.711MU, then G.729a, then G.723-6.3K

We are looking at having approximately 125 agents concurrently and these agents will all have calls during our busiest time.

G.729x has the same compression ratio; the distinction of a or b is just another add on feature by using the said compression ratio. We're using also G.729 but without the a or b, much better.

I believe the G.729a has something to do with the silence suppression.

But if bandwidth is of no question, use the G.711.

if you have 40mbs I dont think theres a problem to use G711 at all, plus using G711 you are saving medpro resources
if 125 its your total calls at the same time this mean that using G711/10ms/80samples you are using 96k per call, now 96k*125 agents its 11875kb, so you have like 28Mb free of BW

but think about delay, if there is a lot of delay between your site and Guatemala I recommend you to use g729/20ms/2samples (24k per call) for your environment and setup QoS, even if you have a lot of BW you need to setup QoS

Thank you everyone for your information. This has been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back