Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Code to join workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucybelle

MIS
Apr 9, 2001
US
I have several databases that I'm having problems with staying joined to my workgroup file. For some reason, when the db is closed and reopened, it creates another file System1, and is joined to that. Each time the db is opened it creates another file, System2, System3, etc.
Could someone help me write VB code that will join a workgroup file named Workgrp.mdw to a database named database.mbd? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

How about not joining but rather have a shortcut to open the database using that mdw file?
Something like
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" "\\ServerName\Path\database.mdb" /wrkgrp "\\ServerName\Path\Workgrp.mdw"

Just check/change the path to your MSACCESS.EXE file

I tried using the shortcut with the command line, but I get a message saying the workgroup file cannot be found and is required to open the database. The funny thing is, I don't get the message everytime, but 4 out of 5 times I'll get it and then it will open. I have about 15 databases with over 100 users and that wouldn't be acceptable to them. Any ideas as to why I'm getting this message?

Maybe you have a problem with the network. I suppose your mdw is on a network location.

My network is Novell. Could that possibly be the reason I'm getting the error message when I use the shortcut with the command line? Any Novell users out there using Access 2003 and using the shortcut without problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back