Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Code to Enter Value into Disabled/Locked Field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyli84

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
GB
I am creating a helpdesk system and have secured my database with User Level Security and Workgroups and have a script which determines whether the current user is a member of Admin or just a User. If the 'CurrentUser' is not a member of Admin then a checkbox (Assigned User-The member of staff who is assigned the call) on a form called "Calls" where problems are logged is disabled. However is it possible for some code attached to a button to set the currentuser to the person who is logged in despite the fact that the checkbox is disabled (or could this be done if the box is locked to ordinary users rather than disabled) and how would this be coded? I want it so that even though "Users" cannot assign another of member of staff to a call when they log them (as the checkbox-assigned user) is disabled) they can still assign a call to themself.

Thanks

I'm pnly a little confused by the above. In the general case of 'call center' apps (and help desk is in that set), the 'CurrentUser' is generally assigned to the 'responsible eneineer'. When you do this in "code", the properties of "Enabled" and "Locked" are not relevant to the assignment. You (generally) do NOT need a button to do this. In one such app which I designed and implemented, the Initial assignment was to the engineer taking the call and THEY could never change this. I included a seperate field for the current engineer, and this was also assigned to the current user, however it was updated each time the record was saved. There are more eleborate schemes, including having each user who updates the record logged to a seperate table. This is also accomplished by having a transaction log, which captures every change to each field.

MichaelRed
mred@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Within my company there are staff who log calls. They do not necessarily answer the calls themselves though. The calls are recorded in the database and the helpdesk manager assigns the calls according to who he thinks may be best able to solve the problem and thus the Assigned user field is locked to all those but members of Admin. Though this check box is disabled though I would still want it so that a user could press a button to assign the call to themself if say they can solve the problem on the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back