Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Code for Login Script to auto-run Virus scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

delski

MIS
Sep 3, 2003
IE
Does anyone have the code I could insert in a Novell login script to make Macfee Virus scan do an automatic workstation scan every friday?

macafee is controlled at a client level

to my knowledge cant be done from a script

you could force run a nal app to do it

I would set up a scheduled task on one of the clients then look at the command line it creates. I would then add a line to the login script like this:
IF DAY=FRIDAY THEN
"COMMAND LINE HERE"

This would only work if all the clients have the software installed the same. You could also run a batch instead. In the batch you could look for a file that is required for the scan to run. Something like this:

IF EXIST "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\NEEDED.EXE" GOTO SCAN
IF NOT EXIST "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\NEEDED.EXE" GOTO END
:SCAN
ECHO STAND BY WHILE ANTIVIRUS SCANNING IS RUNNING
"COMMAND LINE HERE"
:END

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

That is nice in theory, but what about if some unfortunate user is having problems with their PC on Friday and has to log in and out several times? The IF DAY script would execute a full virus scan every time the user logs in on Friday!

Also, how annoying it would be for the users to have a virus scan execute on their machine every Friday!

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

TheLad is correct, it would run every time you log in on friday.
Are you using a server to manage the clients? We use Norton enterprise and they have a way to initiate scans from the server. You could try that if it is available.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

I have scheduled my Mcafee to scan three of the mapped drives on my server from my workstation. It works great as long as I don't turn off my computer.

HTH

Joe Brouillette

I have always found that scanning the server from a workstation is not always the best way. I have had occasions where the server will actually uncompress compressed files in order for them to be scanned, and of course this blows your diskspace away.

I always run scans of the server from the server itself, then you can guarantee that compressed files do not get uncompressed.

Here is how we have it in our Login Script

map f:=server name/sys:public\mcafee\superdat403

#f:sdat4291.exe -s/reboot

Doesn't that just install the latest DAT file?

McAfee has it's own scheduler built in. We usually set ours for random between 12 and 1 pm on Friday. Since McAfee releases their new dats on Wednesday evenings, we update the clients on Thursdays and have them scan on Fridays.

SDAVIS, doesn't the forced reboot cause the workstation to get stuck in a loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back