Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Code base or engine base ETL tools 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joost

Technical User
Jul 13, 2000
NL
I am doing a little research on what ETL tools are available in the market. Besides the differences in functionality (e.g. security,event handling, build-in transformations), accessibility for sources/targets, openess of the repository there is a main difference in architecture.<br><br>There are engine based and code based ETL tools. What are the advantages (besides the already mentioned cursor support of code base ETL tools (WHarchitect)) of code based ETL tools and advantages of engine based ETL tools.<br><br>In Gartner reports and Ovum studies, engine based tools getting more popular and are in fact market leaders now. Is this solely because of &quot;point and click&quot; or also because they provide more functionality as a whole??<br><br>Thank you in advance for your reaction.

Joost,

I am also interested in finding out more information on the ETL tools available in the market. Do you have a chart or comparision matrix evaluating the different tools that you can share or can you atleast tell what criteria you used to choose the correct ETL tool.

Thanks for your help!

One difference I am told is that the code based tools are much better at getting to legacy data on mainframes. Also how to schedule the jobs and move from test to production can be a challenge on the engine based tools. That is procedures will be different from those currently in place.

This is the first &quot;message&quot; I have entered (new member) ... hope I'm doing this right!

So what's the verdict on the code-base vs. engine based ETL tools? I see these notes are not exactly recent ones and wondered where everyone is in the decision making process at this point? We are just beginning and will be evaluating a few select vendors and I thought any input I could get to include in our Proof of concept with each vendor would be very helpful (any suggestions as to what to make sure I ask them to demo?)

Make sure that they demo the proper functionality to address your specific needs naturally. My personal crusade is metadata. Is the tool's metadata architecture open and not proprietary? Does it talk to other products? Is it extensible? Administration of the ETL processes like versioning or change control could also be of some concern in a large implementation with many people touching the ETL objects at the same time.

TR

Hi,

where can i find a serious and complete ETL products comparison ??

Thanks to everybody !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back