Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CoCreateInstance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waynest

Programmer
Jun 22, 2000
GB
Hello

I have just installed IBM's Client Access software on an NT4 server hosting SQL Server 7

One of the tools in SQL (DTS designer) is now displaying the following error message when I try & use it:

'DTS Designer Error: CoCreateInstance - Class Not Registered'

Can one of you COM gurus help me out & tell me what I can do to rectify this & what might have caused it?

Thanks

Most likely one of the DLLs is not registered. So basically CoCreateInstance is looking for an interface in a COM dll that it cannot find. I think the dll registrations are not done properly during the installation (or maybe there is a bug there). I would reinstall the software. could you be more specific as to when to you get that error message exactly?

Cheers,
onlyshiza

I get the message when I try to open the DTS designer to edit an existing package or create a new package.

I have found a thread on another forum from someone who has experienced the same problem with Client Access (no solution listed) so it sounds like the problem lies there.

I need a fix! What do I need to register and how?

Maybe you can find a COM error in one of the logs of the NT system, which might indicate which interface is being (tried) to obtained from which COM server.

Greetings,
Rick

Can't see anything either in NT or SQL logs.

I am going to uninstall Client Access, it has a reputation within our parent company for wrecking machines. I fear I am facing a re-install of the OS and SQL Server as existing DTS packages aren't running when they are scheduled to.

Any advice which might avert this would be most gratefully recieved.

Thanks

I've uninstalled Client Access with no effect.

Is the error likely to be referring to the coCreateInstance class itself, or a class that CoCreateInstance is calling?

If I wanted to register coCreateInstance to rule out the possibility that its that causing the problem, how would I go about it? I have COM explorer, do I need to register a dll?

Thanks

CoCreateInstance isn't a class; it's an API that creates COM objects for you.

Greetings,
Rick

rick

ok, so the API is trying to create an instance of a class that isn't registered? How do I find out which class? Can I find out with COM explorer?

That I don't know if it's not logged by COM, I'm sorry....

Greetings,
Rick

Try installing an older version of MDAC to fix the problem.(I used MDAC 2.0 from an Interdev CD) Then you can update your system with a more recent version of MDAC.
I don't know how, but it works. (maybe some microsoft guy can tell us how :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back