Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cobolscript and fujitsu cobol

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardcoder

Programmer
Feb 2, 2004
GB
I am a fujitsu cobol programmer and need to send / receive data to / from web pages.

Is any body using cobolscript and
a) is it very different from cobol
b) is it easy to use - code
c) is it easy to call from fujitsu progams

Many thanks in advance

I haven't used it, but this is what I know:

1. If you know COBOL, CobolScript is a snap.
2. It's easy to code; but you need to be familiar with server-side scripting technology such as VBScript, ASP, PHP... This too is a piece of cake.
3. I don't believe you can "call" a scripting language as this interpreted, not compiled. Although, it should be able to "call" your compiled code.

Dimandja

I want to be able to display data from a product file on the web and then perform a shopping cart function.

Is this easy with cobolscript. I have the fujitsu manuals and software (using cgi) but I have not found it very user friendly.

Any help / assistance is more than welcome. I am based in the U.K. and I have several projects that need this facility.

While we wait for someone who has actually done that, my understanding is that CobolScript is as powerful as PHP or VBScript, for example.

I have seen shopping carts written in those languages.

Your help is much appreciated. I am still waiting for the evaluation s/w from Cobolscript.

When I get it, I should be able to decide whether or not it is feasable.

Some things to consider:

cardcoder}I want to be able to display data from a product file [/quote said:
Is reading the product file something you anticipate doing? Is the product file in Fujitsu COBOL indexed format? Will cobolscript read Fujitsu files?

Tom Morrison

Thanks Tom for the prompt reply.

I have fujitsu indexed files that hold a product file.

The perceived method is

go and get the initial list e.g. group file.
Select the required group
go and get the second list e.g. products file.
I then want to be able to check the box relevant boxes and add those products to a shopping cart.

Many thanks

Mike

Mike,

First, go back and read my questions about the ability of cobolscript actually to read Fujitsu indexed files.

Second, be aware that my company has a competitive product that is based upon XML technology. BIS provides the means to convert your existing applications to use browsers in a very natural and forward-looking way (I guess I consider CGI to be a dead end). BIS is only available for RM/COBOL, so there would be some conversion effort (though the file conversions may be easier than you might think [wink]).

Last, one of our customers/technology partners has prepared a shopping cart application based upon BIS; this is available in source form, I believe. Contact Bob England at ets@netins.net for more (and correct) information.

(Apologies to the group for the messy typo in my last post.)

Tom Morrison

Tom,

We used to use Liant, and the original Cobol-Wow. We had no problem with RM/Cobol-85 EXCEPT for the runtime licences. This was why we moved over to Fujitsu.

I have the ability within the fujitsu to use API calls - if I could understand the manuals. I personally have not found the Fujitsu support to be too spectacular after they had the clear out and the very knowledgeable and approachable people were made redundant.

I think that the Fujitsu product is very good (as is yours) and any help from any source is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Mike,

I held up for a day, but I just cannot resist! [bigsmile]
cardcoder said:
We had no problem with RM/Cobol-85 EXCEPT for the runtime licences. This was why we moved over to Fujitsu. [sub][tt](emphasis added)[/tt][/sub]
then
cardcoder said:
I personally have not found the Fujitsu support to be too spectacular after they had the clear out and the very knowledgeable and approachable people were made redundant. [sub][tt](emphasis added)[/tt][/sub]
Mike, do you think that there might be a relationship between these two items? You'll be happy to know that we were recently advertising for additional tech support staff (position closed now...no resumes please) to be paid by the revenue from runtime licenses!

Tom Morrison

Tom,

Surely support / help on understanding tthe vagaries of the manuals comes out of the annual maintainance contracts.

The problem with run-time licences is that there is no flexibility for small programmers to write "utility programs" with very little value - as when it comes to sell the product, all of the sale goes to pay for the run-time licence.

This however, digresses from my original problem, Fujitsu Cobol and CGI / API shopping carts. If you are able to assist / know somebody who would like some consulting work - I would be pleased to talk to them.

Kindest Regards,
Mike

Mike

I have never used CobolScript, but if it behaves like ASP, I have been involved in a project to call a Cobol object from ASP. First some background I used to work for a Microfocus shop we tried to build callable objects using NetExpress 3.0 and 3.1 with the help of Microfocus consultants. We failed. Then we shifted to Fujitsu 6.0 Alpha, Beta, and 6.1 again with the assistance of the vendor’s consultants. So I have lived most of the horror stories that this kind of project generates. We got it to work.

Things that you should watch/be aware of:
1. ASP requires the multi user run time (per Fujitsu) not the free single user run time.
2. There are security issues associated with the single user run time in an web environment.
3. Byte alignment word vs byte if you are attempting to call additional dlls.
4. Pathing issues between cobol85.cbr and your inf file.

Tom Leaders

Mike,

While I have never used cobolscript I can tell you the use of a shopping cart is presented in the samples directory with the Fujitsu product. I believe SAMPLE25 builds the store and SAMPLE27 demonstrates an ASP client. Also, SAMPLE26 demonstrates a COBOL client.

While the manuals are a bit hard to use, I generally like to see samples. Show me a sample of something I am trying to do and I can usually make my problem go away. I think Fujitsu follows that too.

As to the support issue, can't comment. Haven't had any issues with them. They've been able to answer my quesitons with no issues left. They don't charge runtimes so I'm able to distribute my app without their knowledge. They have no idea how many clients I have and it's none of their business. Sorry Tom, but runtimes are a big arguement for me and free-runtimes trump the support issue anytime.

Hope this helps Mike. Any question feel free to email me.

We are certainly singing from the same hymn sheet. Runtimes are the biggest issue for me also.

I will look at samples 25 26 and 27. I tried using cgi samples and tied myself in knots. I am not am html programmer - only cobol.

Any help or assistance is more than welcome.

many thanks for your reply,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back