Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cobol calling vb

Status
Not open for further replies.

sttngds9

Programmer
Jul 3, 2003
BR
How I make Netexpress 3.1 Calling a Form Non-Modal in Vb 6.0 ?

seems a cobol question to me. There is a forum for COBOL.

Of course this a cobol question. NetExpress 3.1 it's from Micro Focus. Nobody Knows my question ?

oh.... I thought the question was asked on the code reaus & migration forum. Sorry :)

No problem. If you know how to resolve my problem, let me know.

sttngds9,
According to Microfocus, you can't really do that. What they recommend is that you create a VB exe with the form you want, then compile your COBOL program as a DLL, and make calls to the COBOL DLL functions from the VB exe.

When I first heard this, I was like "You've got to be kidding," but after thinking about it, what difference does it make which language calls which, so long as you have the GUI to front-end your COBOL.

I have not done this myself yet, but years ago (before Visual Basic), I wrote a whole bunch of DLLs in COBOL, which worked fine. I was able to call them from BASIC/C/COBOL/PASCAL with no problems.

To find a code example of how to do this, go to:

| support | Self-Service | Net Express Examples and Utilities | Samples | Mixed Language

and look for an example called: VB-Call-COBOL.zip

If this works for you, please write back and let me know because I have a couple of COBOL programs that really need this same sort of thing, in order to get rid of a bunch of "Accepts" at the front of the programs.

Tranman

Let me explain better to you. I know that I can't call a form directly, but I can call a Vb classe who call a Vb form. That's the way that I am doing.
I know that example you mentioned, I have this example, and I know how to VB call a program Cobol. But sometime I need that a Cobol program call a VB program to show to the user that he is processing something. So, I do a call from a class Vb, make a Invoke in the class, but the problem I have is when class Vb call a Form VB non-modal. Cobol gives error, he want the Form modaless. And I don't want that. I need the Cobol accepts A Form non-modal. And when I try to Animate the Cobol Program he works perfect. He accepts both the Forms VB nom-modal or modal.
So what I have forget to Animate work, and when I execute don't ?

We have a long experience calling VB from Micro Focus Cobol. As far as I can say, it worked with VB4 16 Bit and the old 16 Bit Cobol Compiler and it works with 32 Bit Cobol and VB.NET. But there is no way making VB5 or VB6 show non-modal forms when called from Cobol - period.
(The reason is somewhere at the Microsoft side and if you have too much free time you can ask them about that ;-)

Dieter L. Stangl

I'm using AcuCoobl to do very similar things to this, and we just make VB OCX controls and then embedd them in a Cobol program.

If the OCX has an interface, then we embedd it in the screen seciton. If it doesn't, and it's just some sort of business logic, I need to create the objects using the CREATE verb and reference them by their addresses.

Doesn't MF have something like this? They were doing OCX stuff even before ACU became ACU, weren't they?

.DaviD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back