Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cobol and Web Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndevriendt

Programmer
Jan 8, 2002
BE
Hello,

I've to do an exam for Cobol.

I know they are using HTML, VBSCRIPT and JAVASCRIPT
for the user interface.
There business processes are written in Cobol.

Can somebody tell me how it is possible for making a link
between COBOL programs and JAVASCRIPT/VBSCRIPT

Thanks

Devriendt Nico

Nico, vriendelijkevriend,

We need more info here

Operating system (VB, some windows assumed)?
cobol compiler?
javascript, does this main some web-interface?
and... who are "they"

Version of COBOL = COBOL 85
I just want to know how I can calling COBOL
programs from a web page (ASP)

COBOL = COBOL85 = too easy

this does not add information. windows does not have a cobol compiler. this is an additional product. need to know which product. do you know the format of the compiled cobol program. is it a ".exe" file, or a ".dll" or a ".int"?

If you cannot supply that kind of info, no-one can help you here

The thread thread209-269162 and it's associated embedded thread examines this subject in detail. When these threads were written (back in 2002), it appears that it was not possible to call a Cobol program from a browser/html/asp page. Whether that is still the case remains to be seen. Anybody?

I think you're still very unclear regarding where the scripts/HTML are running. If they are being served by the web server to the user's browser, then, of course, the page can EXEC a COBOL program as either an EXE or DLL (ISAPI) from the page. Micro Focus does this very well in their Net Express product.

From the other side, you should be able to create objects using OO COBOL that would be callable from the ASP pages as well.

The setups from IBM visual age series (for internal use only) contain html (with a special plug-in) that activates the setup programs after clicking the link. This plug-in is on the first cd. The set I saw this is from 1997.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back