Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cobol and ispf

Status
Not open for further replies.

r2m1n1

Technical User
May 25, 2008
US
Hi,

I am new to cobol and mainframe, and i am given a task of documenting the already existing cobol programs based on mainframe,,and i dont know how to proceed with this.i want to know the steps and commands used to view the cobol program in ISPF and also i want to see the copybooks used in that also in the ISPF ..i dont know how to do this..can some help me out in this please..

any help is greatly apreciated

regards,
rk

HI Frederico,
Thankyou for your response,but as i am new to this area of mainframe and cobol,i dont know even the keywords to search for and get the exact documents i need..so if possible can you tell me the exact answer for this.

Thanks once again.

Regards,
Rk

You need to know the dataset name (probably a PDS) and the member name of the program. Mainframe shops tend to customize there primary menus but you need to get into browse or edit mode. If you compile the program it will pull in the copybooks otherwise you just need to find the copy statements and look at the indivdual members. It is also possible they are stored in some type of repository like Endeavor or something.

Sounds like you are in a tough spot. Is there some reason you can't sit with someone and get help? Maybe it's a contract and you don't want to do that. :-(

Glad to help if I can. I had 18 years on the mainframe but that was 6 years ago.

Don't know if you're still looking for help mate but here's a starting point:

Your installation has probably modified the initial screen you get after login, but you should still find a menu option that takes you to the program development facility (PDF)
From the next screen things should be pretty standard.
Look for and select the Utilities menu option(usually #3) and from there DsList(usually #4)
This should take you to a Data Set List utility which allows you to browse through datasets and view individual members or files in the dataset
On the "Dsnname Level" line type the name of the dataset you want to browse and hit enter.
A list of all members or further "levels" in the dataset will be displayed. Under the "command" column and next to the member you want to view enter a "B" and hit enter
The contents of the member should open for you to view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back