Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CNA 5.1 to 6 or 6.5 udgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

brichr

MIS
Feb 17, 2003
US
I want to get CNA certified, and would like some advice. I'm thinking of taking the 5.1 test only because there is more information out to study from, and because I think the material is still very relevant. Should I be thinking 6 or 6.5 instead? If so can someone recommend a great study book? Also I noticed that if you take the CNA 6 administration test after July 1st you have to pass the CompTIA Network+ certification first. Would my CCNA certification pass for this test? Having to take a second Network certification seems redundant and is one more reason why the CNA 5.1 admin test looks appealing for me.

I don't see a requirment to get the Network+ cert in order to get your CNA6 in the progress chart;

How did you become informed that there was this requirment before July 1st? If it was from a cert school, they are jerking your chain (which most do).

The Network+ cert is a great test, I had a lot of fun with it. It covers all the basics of Networking and really has no relivance to the the CNA certification. To be honest, the CNA cert is a joke, it just means you know how to point and click with in the admin tool. Does not teach you how to build a server, design eDirectory, troubleshoot server and directory problems. Just create users, change passwords, and train you for a monkey's job.

Go for broke, get your CNE. A little longer path, but it wil get your more in the long run. The first test, course 560 will get you your CNA. You can still go for the Network+ cert. Novell will accept Network+ certification and give you credit for their network Technologies test. 4 more tests (three required, one elective)and you'll have your CNE 5

You can go for the CNE 5 certification since you have will have more and cheeper study material for it, then turn around and take course 3000 and get your CNE 6 with just a single test.

The difference in pay' CNA = 20k to 40k, some lucky ducks have gotten 50k. CNE = 40k to 90k and if you really go for it and take 3 more Novell tests and the CompTIA IT Project+ test, a MasterCNE is around 80k to 120k

The difference in pay normally depends on your experience, if your new, expect low, if you been around and just haven't gotten certified, you can expect higher.

Provogeek

Saving the world, one network at a time
[rofl][rofl]

Please reread the information posted on the Novell site. "Individuals pursuing a Certified Novell Administrator (CNA) certification should have a fundamental knowledge of networking before learning the specifics of Novell networking. Novell strongly recommends individuals have a CompTIA Network+ certification before pursuing the Novell CNA." Note it says STRONGLY recommends Network+.

To get your CNA you just have to write the one exam. Based on what I'm seeing with my customers, I would recommend taking the NetWare 6 CNA exam. It's called Foundations of Novell Networking. Most of my customers are either planning an upgrade to NetWare 6 or have already done so. The reason for this is the new web features. NetWare 6 allows access and administration securely over the Internet without having to setup VPNs etc. It really is an awesome product.

Marie Perry
CNI/MCNE/MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back