Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CMYK versus PMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kandsuk

Vendor
Mar 2, 2006
GB
Okay, probably a silly question, but... um... If I've budgeted for a four-colour document, can I use four separate Pantone colours, or do I have to stick to CMYK? :)

4 color almost universally refers to cmyk process, not spots.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Thanks JM. That's what I suspected. Luckily, two of the three spots I was planning on using can convert to CMYK successfully. Now I'll just have to find a close match for the other. Thanks

This is a question for your print service provider. They might bill differently if they have to set up inks other than standard CMYK.

If being run on a 4 color press, there is no physical issue to substitute 4 PMS inks for CMYK. The problem, of course, is that if those inks are substituted, you will not have access to CMYK inks.

Thanks Jim, I'll ask the printer. I've converted to plain old CMYK process for now.

It also depends on the press being used. If it's digital, chances are you're limited to process.

Also, if the inks can be substituted, it usually takes time to mix the inks, clean the rollers, etc etc, so I would imagine there would be an extra charge.

Thanks, Blueark. We're going Litho on this one, but I've converted to CMYK for now. If my boss throws any more money at me later, we'll probably go back to adding in the spots. Thanks.

Always consult with your printer.
Printing in CMYK inks is usually a little bit cheaper, because presses are "ready to go" with these inks.
But sometimes it doesn't matter at all, depending on the project you're working on, and the printer you choose.
Spot inks are usually much more beautiful, but if you use color-photograph you always have to use CMYK.

Using InDesign CS2 (Dutch version) in OSX 10.3.9 on a mac G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back