Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CMS Supervisor Backwards Compability

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVelle

Technical User
Feb 27, 2004
US
Hopefully a quick question, getting ready (Feb) to get CM5.x installed/upgraded with CMS v14, wondering if CMS Supervisor for v14 is backwards compatible with CMS Sup v11 (from a G3rV11)?

I dont believe it is, but in the same breath am hoping that it is so the new version can be installed next week leaving one less task to have to do cutover weekend (I dont have the software in hand today or would test myself).

Thanks

Version 14 is not backward compatable with release 11. Supervisor software 14 will only work on releases 12, 13 and 14

Thanks.... I was hoping there was some magic out there I was unaware of...heh

A couple things to know with getting a new CMS server that Avaya or a BP might forget to tell you.

If you don't name the new server the same as the old server, none of the history in the pull down menus will carry over and if your users have created any custom menu buttons they won't carry over either.

You can copy the current registry settings for the server and use notepad to edit and replace the old server name with the new server name, to get the history pulled over.

You can also copy the toolbar.bmp file found in the C:\Program Files\Avaya\CMS Supervisor Rxx\Profiles\[username]\[old server name] to the new server name directory.

Passwords also will not be brought over to the new server. However, you can copy the following files

org.shadow
oshadow
shadow
shadow.O

from your old CMS to the new CMS after Avaya or the BP provisions the server and brings over the adminsitration data from the old server.

- Stinney

Favorite all too common vendor responses: "We've never seen this issue before." AND "No one's ever wanted to use it like that before.

Stinney..... Thanks much for that info (We will have enough suprises, and now this wont be one of them ;)

You can have both CVS V11 & CVS V14 on the same PC.

Kevin

4merAvaya - Ill have to test that out, I remember that Sup v11 & v12 were not able to be on the same machine, but if thats resolved so v11 & v14 can be that rocks.... Thanks

I have it on my PC today. I had V9, V11, & V14.

Kevin

V11 and R14 will definitely work on the same desktop, we've just implemented R14 to upgrade from V11 and other than a bit of wizardry from the Avaya guys its pretty seemless, one area we did pick up on though was with users that also used R13. When we pushed the R14 to the desktop it changed the CMS server version of R13 to R12. Not really a deal breaker as we just ended up removing and re-installing the client on the desktop and setting it up from scratch however one thing to be wary of. The main reason we had to upgrade to R14 is that Avaya have ended support of V11 now and so we really had no choice from a risk perspective (albeit that V11 is still a pretty solid version!!!) Since the upgrade we have had our fair share of Error <429> issues and the like and I now have one user that is recieving an Error -28002 when launching a report, anyone got any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back