Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CMS IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojoputter

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
US
How do you change the IP address of a cms..?

See thread690-1020201

Bart.gif

Susan
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
Then, when you criticize them, you are a mile away ...
and you have their shoes.”

The IP address lives in the /etc/hosts file. Unless you are comfortable with the UNIX editor (vi) you might want to consider paying Avaya or one of their Business Partners to make the change. A server reboot will be required for the change to take affect.

Kevin

This is what is in the etc/hosts file, I would assume the .7 address is the one I want to change. The PBX version is G3V6i, I'm not sure what needs to change in there.

# CUSTOMER LAN
127.0.0.2 localhost
128.127.183.7 r3occmn loghost
192.168.1.1 cmssvr-c
192.168.1.2 cmssvc-c
#
# C-LAN CONNECTED PBX LINKS (not used at this time)
192.168.2.2 switch1
192.168.2.3 r3occmn_1 # Ethernet Port hme0 (not used at this time)
#Network Printers Added By PSO/Avaya RB 1/30/02
128.127.193.2 nwp1
#End PSO/Avaya Added Printers
~
~

Since a V6 PBX does not support an IP conncetion to the server the IP address is only used by CentreVu Supervisor.

The .7 address is the one used by them.

Kevin

nothing changes in the switch. g3v6 uses x.25 and does not support ip network connectivity.

display comm link
display comm proc

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

35 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 25 years and counting

OK, this is good info. These older systems I am not familiar with. Now my next questions is, when I am at the root level in CMS and vi/etc/hosts and attempt to change the ip address, it tells me its read-only so it can't be changed. Is this something only Avaya can change..?

I may be able to help you if you have a dialup for cms.

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

check the permissions for the host file, do "chmod 777 hosts", by doing this you will be able to edit the host file.

If the file belongs to root, you cannot chmod it unless you are logged in as root.

cms [610318]-> ls -l /etc/hosts
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Dec 6 17:15 /etc/hosts -> ./inet/hosts
cms [610319]-> cd /etc
cms [610320]-> ls -l inet/hosts
-r--r--r-- 1 root sys 434 Jan 25 13:01 inet/hosts

In this example, only root can change the file

bsh

OK, after typing in those commands this is what I see:

#
# ls -l /etc/hosts
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Jan 7 2002 /etc/hosts -> ./inet/hosts
# cd /etc
# ls -l inet/hosts
-r--r--r-- 1 root sys 374 Jan 31 2002 inet/hosts
#

So does this tell me I'm in root..?

No. It tells you that the owner of the file is root and that you must login as root to edit the file.

You will need someone that can login as "root" login with the "root" password to make the change.

When are you going to need to do this? and do you have modem access to the cms? I could help you with this.

bsh

After you edit the file, hit <esc> :w! You do not have to chenge permissions on the file.

Kevin

If you are not logged in as root you will not be able to change the file.

:w!
"/etc/hosts" Permission denied

bsh

Correct Tier3 guy, it tells me permission denied read-only. The plan is to change the address on Tuesday night and I do have modem access.

Let me know if you need help. Ahead of time would be great so I can see if I can get in over your modem or telnet from a server that I can get connected to.

bsh

I ended up talking to someone who knows vi alot more then I do, and we figured out when we made the change all we had to use to save and quit was :wq!

You will get denied with that one too, unless you login as root.
vi is not your issue. The ownership of the file you are wanting to change is the issue.

bsh

That's the confusing thing here. I am at the # sign which I thought tells me I'm in root, and when I vi into /etc/hosts it tells me read-only, but if I make a change and :wq! after I make the change it does save it. I can go back to vi /etc/hosts and my change is there.

Then you are logged in as root and it will work for you.
As I have said all along. Now all you need is to reboot.

bsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back