Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CMS for an existing site

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandy34

MIS
Nov 11, 2005
US
I'm presently at my wits end with Contribute 3 and all of it's authentication and file lockout problems. The latest is the dreaded "Contribute cannot verify your connection information" error which started up this week. We've made no changes to permissions to any files and can access them fine over sftp but are still locked out of the main page by Contribute.
We've been struggling with Contribute for three years now and are now looking for a replacement.
All I've been able to find (I prefer opensource) are CMS's aimed toward making your own site but I need to manage our existing site.

Any suggestions for a good software?
Thanks,
Sam

I've seen several blogs and such regarding moving a site TO Drupal from another site. Drupal's my personal favorite for a site. And I believe there are additional modules that have been built specifically for the purpose of migrating to Drupal from other sources.

Other CMS products may have the same type of tools, I don't know.

Be aware that no matter what you choose to go with, it's going to take some serious work. All your content will have to be queried over or some such way, and even with that you've got to verify that the file structures will work between the two.

It might be easier (don't know for sure, I'm just guessing at it) to export all the content from your database to flat text files, then import said data into the Drupal appropriate tables. But I'd probably look for a module or two to assist in at least SOME of these efforts.

If it's a live and busy site, then you might want to do a test run of a transfer, and get all the kinks worked out... and THEN take the site down, and do it for real.

Thanks for the answers here. We're going to be redesigning the site next year and I'm also leaning toward Drupal.

Here's an article/discussion on the topic, where they mention the Backup and Migrate module which I think has been a pretty popular one ... unless I'm getting mixed up with something else:

Also, the current version of Drupal is 6, but Drupal 7 is looking REALLY nice. I just set up a site to mess around on yesterday, and I'm loving some of the new features already. It's more buggy in some ways, but for an Alpha (not even Beta) release, I think it's doing EXTREMELY well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back