Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cmos problem, can't POST 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanmcl

Technical User
Apr 10, 2004
US
Hey, I'm having a problem getting one of my computers to boot up... was adjusting the motherboard the other day and I must have knocked something loose. When it powers up it says "CMOS Checksum Error -- Defaults Loaded" and then freezes. I've tried replacing the CMOS battery, no luck. I'm running Phoenix AwardBIOS 6.00PG on an ASUS A7V8X motherboard. Any suggestions on what else could be wrong?
Thanks, bryan

Check RAM is seated correctly, check CPU is seated correctly - and check CPU heatsink is on the right way round.

Don't ask - it's a long story :)

Hope this helps.

You too, CE?
Try clearing the CMOS. Then reset the values.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Get the manual out and see which "jumper" you knocked loose!

The RAM, CPU, and heatsink are all in place. I'm not sure if I cleared the CMOS, though. I set the CLRCMOS jumper to it's clear position and powered the box back up... wouldn't start, but the power WAS on (could see it on the motherboard). Set the jumper back to it's original position (normal) and everything worked again (except for the checksum error :p). Does this sound like the CMOS was cleared?

Yes...

after which you should go into the BIOS SETUP (CMOS) and do the F10 (SAVE and EXIT) bit...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back