Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CMOS Battery Low What do I do??? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

starman1

Technical User
Dec 15, 2003
AU
Hi my sons computer cmos battery flashs a low sign every time he boots up. Can I just change the battery OR do I have to get another MB.

starman1

You need to read the manual. It will tell you if it is a user replacable battery. Some require soldering.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Hi and thanks for the quick reply. My manual has diddly squat on the cmos battery...absolutely nothing.
By the way its an ECS K7S5A PRO....I forgot to mention it earlier.

starman1

If the pictures are accurate, then the battery is replacable. More than likely a CR2032, but confirm that first. Before removing the battery, go into BIOS and write down all settings for each page as these will likely be lost after the battery is removed. I use a digital camera to take a photo of each screen rather than write all that info. Unplug the system from the wall outlet before replacing the battery. ATX motherboards have power applied to them when the line cord is plugged in, even with the power switch off.

Yes indeedy! Button Lithium CR2032
It does suprise me though that the battery has already gone! the Pro version of the K7S5A hasn't been out that long, 12/14months? and usually these batteries are good for 2/4 years, guess you might have a cheapo dud.
These batteries usually just pop out, push back the spring clip one side and get your fingernail in there to prize it out.
Follow Freestone's good advice above.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

If you disconnect the system from wall outlet or turn off the switch on a surge strip the battery dies faster.

ImpetusEra,

Since the battery is not "charging", and cannot be, I assume you mean that the motherboard has enough power through the power supply to keep the CMOS happy.

Is this true?

Thanks for the Help Guys I have changed the Battery and all is fine....Ta

starman1

Yeh, I think it pulls 3.3 from the power supply while plugged into an outlet. When not plugged in it pulls from the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back