Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CM Root Login Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaoldschl

MIS
May 17, 2001
US
I'm doing an upgrade and need the root login. I can see that Avaya set it when installed and it hasn't been changed using the web interface but they didn't use the defaults I expected. I called them thinking they could login as sroot and change it for me but they are saying that isn't possible. First, is that right? Second, can anyone clue me on the procedure to manually recover the root password? I've seen the one for the gateway itself but nothing for root in CM. This is S8300 CM4.x on a G350. Thanks.

Your looking for the root password on the CM..? Why do you need that to do a upgrade..?

Turns out I don't. I misunderstood what I was being asked for. I have all the access I need. Thanks.

There ususally is another root login in the system, root2 appears to be Avaya's root login in our system.

You absolutely can reset a root password from another root login.

I set up a second root login in our CMS that I can use if someone changes the primary root password.

- Stinney

Quoting only proves you know how to cut and paste.

Avaya linux servers before the authentication file is installed use root and craft logins with passwords.
After installing an authentication file, the Avaya services logins are changed from password authentication to challenge and response authentication.

Customer can pay for root access and if they pay Avaya to turn it on, use "root" with a password. This can be made available on any server but is disabled by default and disabled when the authentication file is installed.

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

36 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 26 years and counting

AvayaTier3,

AFAIR getting root access to CM server is easy as 1-2-3. At least on CM2 and CM3, it was easy as a breeze. Never tried it on later versions but don't see no reason for it to be any harder.
Bottom line: there's no need to pay Avaya a cent for the root access. A little hacking will suffice.

Regards, Alex.
My Avaya blog:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back