Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CM Duplication Link System Platform VS AVP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2013
US
Hello all.

Looking for some info in the docs but have not come across anything yet.

In regards to upgrading 2 Physical G7 servers from System Plaform with CM 6.x to AVP with CM 7.x using a physical ethernet cable for the duplication link between the 2 servers, how does this change in AVP?

The current config of the duplication link is utilizing the 192.11.13.13/14 255.255.255.252 address scheme between the 2 servers with the IP address health check using the default gateway IP, does this remain the same in cm once on the AVP? Does Avp Still use the same Physical Ethernet port of ETH1 for the Duplication Port?

I am unable to test this in a lab as I only have ESXi to test with which is not quite the same as physical servers.

The CM application hasn't changed, just the platform it sits on. Dup Link settings and config are the same within the CM.

You'll need to use SDM to configure which physical interfaces map to which interfaces on the VM.

As always, thanks randycarroll.

I did find some info about it, but nothing in the Admin guides. I also found the guide for creating the duplication interface via SDM (SOLN283881).

I will have to wait and see what the SDM says the interface names are when I am doing the upgrade onsite, if SDM says vmnicX and system platform was ethX Then I assume the following configuration from the AVP/ESXi will be true.

Eth0 = vmnic0 --> Public Network for Communication Manager Application IP address
Eth1 = vmnic1 --> service port
Eth2 = vmnic2 --> Duplication Link
eth3 = vmnic3 --> NIC Bonding / HA

Where did you find this?
AvayaRedTech said:
Eth0 = vmnic0 --> Public Network for Communication Manager Application IP address
Eth1 = vmnic1 --> service port
Eth2 = vmnic2 --> Duplication Link
eth3 = vmnic3 --> NIC Bonding / HA

All I've ever found was that ETH2 was for OOB Management. starts on page 13.

I've done this upgrade a few times now. There seems to be 3 ways to do it (automatic, semi automatic, and manual). If you want the duplication link to work after your done without a lot of trouble then do the manual way. ie, install AVP via cd and kickstart file on USB. Then add to SDM, install US, then patch. Then install CM, then patch. Finally restore from backup.

Hi Phoneguy55, I did not find it.. I was assuming based on what I am seeing on various systems.Although I am still somewhat looking at all of this.

My plan is to do the upgrade in the order you state as well with the added interchange at the end and repeat the process for the other server.

I used eth5 for CM duplication link. Requires an onsite touch to move the cable since I was never able to find anything that said I could use it in eth2. But would need an onsite touch anyway to manually install AVP.

I think you are correct phoneguy55, after talking with someone else about this as well, I think we use the eth5 for the dup link, which is the addon card just above the 4 interfaces on the g7 servers.

Have a couple of AVP (R630) for a duplex and Avaya supplied at release 8.0, they gave us a list as part of the design:

ETH 1 / vmnic 0 - Public
ETH 2 / vmnic 1 - Services Port
ETH 3 / vmnic 2 - OOBM
ETH 4 / vmnic 3 - Duplication Link
ETH 5 / vmnic 4 - Optional public bond
ETH 6 / vmnic 5 - Optional OOBM bond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back