Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CM alarms in System Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweege

Programmer
May 24, 2004
US
morning all,

have comm mgr 8.1 and system manager 8.1. have both setup to send snmp traps from cm to smgr, and email them out. however, the alarms are not very descriptive. what do i need to run them through in order to get something meaningful?

and, how do i keep the alarm log from filling up the smgr?

thanks!

do you have an example? generally, the MIB files has the information you need. It is also a bit of trial and error as you are trying to generate meaningful alerts.

here are a couple of pics of what i get in smgr, with identifying info removed:

smgr_alarm_log_imq7i7.png
smgr_alarm_detail_d2ozt0.png

thanks!

so those are OIDs. You would need to find your specific CM version and download the MIB files. You can then use a MIB viewer to poll the OID. Generally if you search the OID in google you will at least be able to narrow it down.

maybe this is the better question......what can i use to get alarms out of cm, and have them emailed out with useful info? such as, a media gateway being down, or a pri circuit being down. i know asa will do that, but it requires an instance of asa running with no one using it. thanks!

I've used Nectar before - it was really powerful.
Solarwinds never worked for me.
I have Virsae but not for SNMP, their platform is nice though.

Spiceworks has a free tool that might be worth checking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back