Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clustering Web Servers and DB Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasser

Programmer
Jan 3, 2002
NL
The company I work for have purchased two COMPAQ Proliant CL380 Cluster boxes. They want to create a high availability system with future scalability(initially 1000 users, rising to n number). They envisage running ASP on the Web Server which will call COM+ objects (VB) which in turn will call the Database Server(SQL Server 2000). They want to take advantage of clustering and are very interested in the failover capabilities. How do i install the software e.g COM+ components on the local disk or shared storage?.

I am not sure if we have gone for the right solution - it may have been better to go for multiple web servers with Network Load Balancing (this would have given better scalability for n users?) and failover and a cluster box for the Database server.

I apologise for the vague nature of this request - but I have never setup a Server before!!!

You will want to reserve the use of the CL380 for database clustering and install your COM and web services on NLB clusters (on DL360's or something similar), each service on a separate cluster. I have this configured currently and it works well. I know that the DUWAMISH documentation describes a scenario like this. You can search technet for it.

Many large corporations require a firewall and IDS system between each of the three tiers as well.

Fley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back