Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clustering PPES

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottsdale2k

Programmer
May 31, 2004
US
Anybody have installed PPES on Cluster machine. I have few questions about how to change the PPES host name from the default Computer server name to the Cluster name.

In the Configuration manager this property is read-only property and in the document it has been mentioned that it cannot be changed. I would like to know if there is any work around for this or will there be any problem if I continue to use the server computer name??

Thanks for your help,
Magesh

We have all of our V7.3 cognos components IWR, PPES and Upfront installed on clustered servers.

The general server host name can be left as the computer name, but the configuration for the PPES Server Group

Gateway URL
Web Server

on the Server Configurations tab should be set to the cluster name.

HTH

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

Thanks for your Reply. If I refer some other server name in the server configuration tab other than the computer name specified in the components section then it gives me an error. It says unless you have your server mirrored you cannot have the host name and dispatcher name diff in PPES server group.

Please note that this issue is for PPES server group only.

Let me know whether I need to change the settings in Dispatcher -> General section for PPES Server is Mirror from Falso to True.

Thanks again for your input.

Magesh.

Magesh

You don't need to set the Mirror setting to true.

When you add the despatcher to the PPES Server group make sure you set the despatcher name to the cluster name.

Gary

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

I am getting the following error if the server name differ from the dispatcher name specified in the "Server Configuration" tab.

Unless this server is mirror, it must appear in the server group specified provider ppes in Server Configuration.

Please throw some light...

Thanks in advance,
Magesh.

Both the dis[latcher and the server name should be teh name of the cluster. Try removing the existing dispatcher and adding a new one give the new one the name of the cluster, you can then set the server with the same name.

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

I have try that option already. In my Server Configuration tab I have used the Cluster name and did no change to the components tab as the field is read-only. I am getting the same error as specified above.

Please advice whether you made any changes to the components tab?

What do you have set as the dispatcher name on the server configuration tab.

Look under All comuputers and the first element here should be the clustered computer, click on this and this should allow you to edit the dispatcher name and set it to the cluster name.

Gary

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

Hi Gary,
Let me make it clear. I have the below settings in the configuration manager.

Under Components tab.

Cognos PowerPlay Enterprise Server -> Dispatcher -> General -> PowerPlay Server Name is "CompuerName" (This is a read-only property and cannot be changed)

Cognos PowerPlay Enterprise Server -> Dispatcher -> General -> PowerPlay Server is Mirror is "FALSE"

Under Server Configuration tab

All Computers -> Cluster Name -> Cognos PowerPlay Enterprise Server (Here Cluster name has been added with Cognos PPES as the component)

All Server Groups -> PPES Server group -> Cluster name

With the above setting am getting an error mentioned in my previous note.

FYI, I am using Cognos Series 7 Ver 2 MR3. Does this have any significance as the version you have mentioned is different. I am wondering whether they fixed this problem in the latest version?

Thanks again for your time,
Magesh.

Magesh

I am using Version 7.3 on my system so there may be some differences in the configuration manager, the settings I have are

Components tab

Cognos Powerplay Enterprise Server -> Dispatcher -> General

Powerplay Server Name = Computer Name
Powerplay Server is Mirror = FALSE

Server Configuration Tab

All Computers -> Cluster Name

Dispatcher Name = Cluster Name

All Server Groups -> PPES Server Group

Gateway URL = Web server = Added Dispatcher Name = Cluster Name

These settings look the same as yours so if you are still having problems I don't think I can help any further, I would raise this one with Cognos as you say it may have been fixed in the later version.

Good Luck

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

Thanks for your inputs. I will check with Cognos and update if I find some solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back