Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clustering - Initate the process on FailOver

Status
Not open for further replies.

baskerk

Programmer
Apr 4, 2002
ZA
Hi,

I'm running a batch process on Windows Clustered Environment. During the batch process, if Node 1 fails, is it possible to initiate the same batch process in Node 2. Batch process will take care of resuming from the point it failed.

Should we need to do anything or will the clustering take care of this.

Thanks,
Basker

Is the batch process defined as a resource in a cluster group?

If YES, then the cluster service should start it up again on the other node and the process can do its thing of finding where it left off and continuing.

If NO, then I would expect it to fail and not automatically restart. You would have to restart it manually.

OR, if the process is running on a box outside of the cluster, write code into the process (script, batch file, VB, whatever) that can handle the unavailability of its required resources (fileshare or whatever managed by the cluster service) for the period of time that it takes the other node to take over and make the required resources available again, i.e. some timeout value. In that case the process doesn't fail; it just waits for resources to come back.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back