Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clustering - Getting Started/Pros & Cons 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkerr

Technical User
Mar 2, 2005
US
Hi - our company is considering adding clusters for our SQL server (2003).

I was wondering if I could get some input on pros and cons from those who've had it implemented for a while.

If you could share any problems you've had with the implementation (and/or current problems), as well as any benefits it has offered you, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks all for your input!!

LK

Clustering does one thing for you. Gives you the ability to have the hardware fail and not have the SQL Server go down.

The con is the cost. Setting up a cluster requires shared storage such as a SAN. For SQL Server 2000 it also requires Enterprise Edition, as well as Enterprise Edition for the OS.

Installing a clustered install of SQL is very easy. After you setup the cluster (which is very easy in Windows 2003) you simply run through the SQL 2000 installer. It will detect that clustering has been setup and will prompt you to set it up as a clustered install.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I have a question along the same vein, is it possible to turn an existing windows server with SQL installed into a cluster. Let's assume that the storage is already on a SAN.

Thanks!

JB

Without reinstalling SQL, no. SQL will need to be reinstalled.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back