Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clueless on History Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

offred

MIS
Nov 7, 2006
US
I have no idea how to call up a command prompt history, like in other Windows server OS. The up/down keys do nothing. Tried ALT SHIFT PAGE UP PAGE DOWN, nothing calls up the previous command.

I don't want to key in the same commands over and over.

Does anyone know how to enable a history key, like the up/down keys?

doskey /listsize=100

listsize equals the amount of commands you want to keep in history.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

Acually, I learned something. It's the size of the history buffer.

I can't get any key at all to call up previous commands. In most, if not all, other Microsoft OS, the up/down key calls up the previous command at the command prompt.

I can't get the up/down key to do this. I tried another USB keyboard, should I use a PS/2 keyboard?

At command prompt: ping
I should be able to repeat this command with the up/down keys, but they do nothing.

I noted that a listsize=0 will call up at least the last command. I suppose a listsize=10 would suffice.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

This is what I did:

at command prompt:

doskey /reinstall
doskey /listsize=100

ping (whatever)

doskey /history

nothing!

Sorry, I'm new to 2003, and it is a fresh installation. Are there registry permissions that need to be set? Is the lack of a history a security enhancement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back