Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Closing Ports...

Status
Not open for further replies.

imatek

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
US
I have win xp pro sp1 and an smc barricade router. How do you close ports? Do I need a 3rd party software?

what ports are you worried about? Go to a "port scanner" site, I believe has something to scan your computer for risks. Have you done a netstat /?...this command shows open ports. JeffS

also windows has its own firewall
Right click network places, right clcik your connection, on the advanced tab check box for the firewall JeffS

According to the website you goto the Access Control screen via your web browser and put in ports or port ranges that you want to close! See Link!

This is very similar to my Linksys router. All I do is type into the address bar the internal ip address of the router (mine is 192.168.0.1 yours should be listed in the properties under your network places in the support tab). Once in you simply go to the appropriate page and input your port(s).

Good Luck Cheers

Thx to all who respond ;)

Do you want to close ports on the router or the computer?

Edit the ports on the computer, by modifying the filters on the nic.

Right click My Network Neigborhood>TCP/IP>Advanced>Options (I think, going from memory)>TCP/IP Filters>Properties> and only enable the ports you want.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Be careful though when shutting down the ports. Do you know all the ports you will need? What about your games? Some games will grab a random port when playing so that all the players have there own port. This is so the server can more easily tell which packet goes to whom.
I suggest using a software firewall along with a hardware firewall. Then when a program needs access the software will ask you if you want to allow it.

JON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back