Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Closing Access remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwrgek

Technical User
Sep 30, 2003
US
I have a large number of people using the data base and would like to log them out remotely when I need to do updates. Does anyone have any tips or scripts to do this?

faq181-2145 may have what you need. If that doesn't do it for you, search the forums for "kick user". Basically, you keep a hidden form that checks every minute or so if it needs to log off.

This is great information. I do have one question. It says to establish a reference. I am not sure how to do this can you give me a little more info. Also Boolean is yes/no set to true false correct?

You can copy and past the code into your database, then you won't need to set a reference. Setting a reference will allow you to reuse this sample database without having to retype the code when you want it. Not sure how to do this, sorry.

Your statement about boolean is correct.

paqguy - Shaun Beane
Instructor/Developer
sbeane@verizon.net

Just to post a bit of a different route...I have almost the same thing, but I check if a file (a blank text file) exists in a certain spot on the network. At one point I used a table to mark that it should be shut down, but then I had problems with corruption and couldn't get the table check working properly...so we came up with this idea. I like it more now because it's not reliant on databases at all, just running a dir to see if a file exists or not. Hope that helps.

Kevin

Thank you to everyone currently I have set up the database check but I do like the potentials of file checking so again thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back