Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Closest office

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCRMet

Technical User
Jun 21, 2001
US
I have a table of zip codes (about 42k of them) and a table of offices (500 or so) we work with. I want to, through a lat/lon calculation, update a field called 'closest office' in the zip code table so that I can identify the closest office for each zip. I have the lat/lon calculation, but I don't know how to do the joins to get the query to calcuate the distance for all the offices and return the office with the minimum distance. No matter how I try to join the zips in the two tables, it only returns the matches.

Your problem might be better solved by using VBA code.

Imagine a nested loop where your ZIP table is the outer loop and your Office table in the inner loop. In the inner loop, calculate the distances of each office and with an IF statement store the closest distance and update your closest office field.

I've done quite a bit of work in VBA with custom functions, but they are generally for calling the function within in a query where all the Joins are done. You're suggesting I execute the whole process in VBA? What would the statement be for calling the tables? I have two - ZIPSCOORDS and Districts.

I can't think of a way to solve your problem with queries. But yes, try the whole process in VBA.

Here, try this for starters:

Code:
Dim rstClient As New ADODB.Recordset
Dim rstOffice As New ADODB.Recordset

rstClient.Open "Client", CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockOptimistic
rstOffice.Open "Office", CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenDynamic, adLockReadOnly

Do While Not rstClient.EOF

Do While Not rstOffice.EOF

If [Closer than previous] Then

rstClient.Fields("ClosestOffice") = rstOffice.Fields("OfficeAddress")
            rstClient.Update

End If

rstOffice.MoveNext
    Loop

rstOffice.MoveFirst
    rstClient.MoveNext

Loop

Thanks. I worked off your suggestion and made changes to fit. Worked perfectly. I appreciate the help. New skill learned, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back