Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Close Port 5050 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sera

Technical User
Jun 29, 2000
US
I need to know what port 5050 is used for and if it will cause any problems if I close it. The only thing I really see it being used for is messenger services such as yahoo. I can't seem to find any documentation on how to close it. I know I can block it from a firewall, but I am interested in closing it.
Thanks

Sera
I often believe that...
My computer is possessed!

That is nice....I did find out that it is used by irc and whatever the mmcc - multimedia conference control tool is. But I don't have ICQ or messenger or anything like that running. As a matter of fact this box has pretty darn near nothing running on it. So I would like to close the port. But I cannot figure out how....

Sera
I often believe that...

Oops! Sorry I always seem to jump to conclusions. What is your hardware setup? Business LAN? Home?

Its ok I didn't realize I had said so little until I reread through different eyes. Business LAN. It is a server that is all by its lonesome and its sole purpose is to be a web server. It only has one program installed (other than the basic windows stuff...no office) and that program does not seem to need 5050. This box is locked down really tight, and 5050 is the only port I can't isolate....That is a really nice website tho...I can't tell you how many times I have wondered "what is that port using"

Sera
I often believe that...

So were you able to shut it down at the server?

Have a nice weekend..

Greg

No I still have yet to figure out what is using it. Very frustrating. I am annoyed. :(

Sera
I often believe that...

Ok, just for the edification of anyone that cares....
I tracked down the use of Port 5050 for my case. I am using software on this server called ArcIMS 4.0. This is a web-based Geographic Information System server package. Ports 5050 and 5060 are used by the ArcIMS Tasker and ArcIMS
Monitor for times when the Application Server initiates contact. So that may not really mean much to some of you, but it may mean something to someone who has the same problem. Also I guess the moral of the whole story is....something I had installed (other than the operating system) needs this port. Which is what I was thinking initially because the use of this port seemed so arbitrary.

Sera
I often believe that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back