Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloning with Symantec Ghost and PXE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arito

Technical User
Dec 20, 2005
FI
I Know this is a wrong forum, but I didn't know where to put this and since the problem is about Ghost Corporate Edition I thought I might find help here. Sorry :)

I've started recently working in a youth schooling department and although I'm working as a trainer I'm also reponsible for techical support as a secondary job.

The problem has been that the operation systems of the desktops that the students use have to be re-installed quite often (optimally once a week) and it's a lot of extra work.
I just discovered that we have licenses of Symantec Ghost Corporate Edition 8.2 and 3Com Boot Services for almost every (11/12) client desktop so it could potentially reduce greatly my workload as a tech support.

I've tried to use Ghost for two weeks and I'm still having problems with pushing an image to desktops.

Method 1: Ghost Console
First I set-up a model computer and took an image. I've created a pxe boot disk and distributed it with (3com) tftp and pxe servers. The clients get the boot disks, but they can't connect with the server. The reason is that when I start an "image push" task in Ghost Console it then starts GhostCast server and names the session as 'Servername'Push* (*=rolling number). If I wan't the pxe-boot disk to connect automatically to the server I have to add -ja='sessionname' switch. Is it possible to change the session name? Because now the GhostCast session name is always different, because of the rolling number, which means I should always create a new boot disk for every new session.

Method 2: GhostCast
I've also tried the cloning with GhostCast server, without using the Ghost Console (which ables me to name the session), but then the problem is SysPrep. The image that I'm using is from a 'model computer' so it doesn't work if I just push it to ten other computers (computer names, sids...). So how is it possible to use SysPrep with GhostCast? With Ghost Console it's possible to automate SysPrep.

I'dont know if I'm close to solve this or doing it totally wrong. If you know a website that gives good (preferably easy step-by-step) instructions to cloning with Ghost and PXE or you know how to do it, please help me :)
Symantec apparently doesn't offer free support for Corporate edition and we as a public department don't have money to spend (That's why I'm doing this on my holiday...), so I'm would much appreciate any free help I could get.

May I suggest another method?

It's a variation on method 1. Instead of using PXE use the console boot partition. You can still use the Console to manage the session.

Make a Console Boot Partition image with the appropriate drivers to place on every HDD you want to manage. This depends on the number of different NICs in your systems. Once you have your boot images ready, deploy them as a disk image not partition image.

When the images are deployed to the desktop they should boot up to the client console (connection messages generated on the screen). Once you verify they are connected you can send the OS baseline images to the client without messing with the session names.

If you need more detatils keep posting.

FYI: I use this method to manage 200 clients.

peace,

Lorenzo Wacondo (System Administrator)

## Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Thank you for your answer.

My goal is to minimize visits to clients and handle it all from the server. I presume your method would do that (if you handle 200 clients it probably does...).

In my case all the desktops have identical hardware. Though I still need a few different images which contain different applications. I also have to make new images every now and then. Images will be stored on server, but it has limited disk space so I can't have own images for every desktop, but only one for every different "application set image".

So I'm interested to hear more about your method, but would it be possible to explain it more detailed way since I don't have appropriate education or knowledge for a system administrator in information technology.

Thank you for your time

Before we go any further I assume you have some working knowledge of Ghost (any version).

It's good that you have identical hardware. That will cut down the number of baseline images you need to keep. Each client will have two image files a boot partition and the baseline OS (Windows). With the identical hardware you only need one (1) boot image for all your clients. The number of OS images depends on your environment.

You will need to create a Console Boot Partition from the Boot Disk Wizard. Before you make the boot partition you should make a Network Boot Disk (which requires 2 floppy disks) to verify the client machine can boot to the network with the drivers you selected in the creation process. Once you get the correct drivers make the boot partition. An image file is created to boot the client and listen to the server for any pending tasks.

Once the boot partition is created use the floppies to boot a test client. On the server start the GhostCast Server and configure a session to push the boot image to the client. Push the image using the disk option. This will overwrite all the disk's contents and place the ghost boot files in a hidden FAT12 partition. Once the session completes pull out the floppy and reboot. The client should boot and load the Ghost Console Client. When the client is loaded you will see periodic messages confirming the client can connect to the server or other diagnostic messages. If connected you're half way there.

On the server open the Ghost Console and verify the client is known to the server by looking in the Machine Groups folder. If it is there make a task and associate it with the client. When creating the task push the OS image using the partition option and set the partition to one (1). Technically there are two (2) but the hidden boot partition is ignored by the task. I always do a Task Scenario to verify I have the correct settings defined for the task. Once you're satisfied, execute the task.

Once the task is completed the client will reboot and complete any post-task configurations to the Windows environment. This includes changing the SID with Ghost Walker and renaming the client and other host settings if the Ghost Client is installed. Ghost Walker will run without the client install.

I've skimmed over a lot of additional configuration and settings to convey a simple working model. You know your environment better than I do. Design for your environment.

If you need more, keep posting.

peace,

Lorenzo Wacondo (System Administrator)

## Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Hi Arito,

Don't know if this helps but I manage a mixed bag of 1200+ Win XP and 98 PC's across different LAN/WAN/Dialup environments with, at last count, 11 completely different hardware models.

Apart from our public libraries (where we use Deep Freeze < regular re-imaging of staff PC's due to <ahem> 'user problems' is a fact of life. Our network infrastructure does not lend itself well to supporting constant re-imaging due to bandwidth issues.

PXE's great but, in my experience, without a multitude of disk images (as you have already mentioned) this approach is often a 'one size fits all' solution that requires subsequent additional configuration (non-standard software, network, printer, etc.) after re-imaging.

As a result (and instead of using the network or burning individual restore DVD/CD's), I use a more 'individualised' approach to each PC, using 2 partitions and Ghost.

The primary partition is either NTFS or FAT32 depending on the OS and the secondary partition is always FAT32 ('cos DOS can't recognise NTFS). I also move the swapfile to D: to reduce the size of the partition image (which speeds up imaging) and to help system performance.

I set up the OS including all Critical Updates, standard applications, printing, etc. then use Ghost to save a partition image of C: to D: using a 'saveme.bat' file stored on D:, together with the Ghost executable.

The saveme.bat file is:
Code:
ghost -clone,mode=pdump,src=1:1,dst=d:\images\fixdrive.gho -z3 -rb -sure

Any time there is a change to the standard setup (e.g. service pack or application) I just update the partition image stored on D: using the 'saveme.bat' file. This forces an overwrite of the stored image then re-boots automatically.

Note that, at present, WSUS is only updating 200+ file servers. I still have to find a way to automate an update to FIXDRIVE.GHO when we roll out WSUS to the client (workstation) PC's.

For standalone and dial-up connected PC's I use TweakUI to point personal folders (e.g. 'My Documents', 'Favorites', etc.) to subfolders of a single folder on D: so no data is lost if the C: partition is re-imaged.

In case you're wondering, I store the Ghost executable on D: because recent versions are too large for floppy and to ensure I use the correct version (I've been using this method on 1200 PC's for the last 6 years so use 4 different versions of Ghost).

Note that I use Symantec Ghost (i.e. corporate version), NOT Norton Ghost (i.e. retail version). I believe the only difference may be that the business version supports batch scripting. The cost of licences for the corporate version is very reasonable, especially when compared to labour costs to do a manual set up/configure. I don't have a copy of Norton Ghost so can't check whether it also supports batch scripting.

In the event of problems (virus, spyware, corruption, user changes, etc.), all I need to do is to boot the PC into DOS using either a USB pendrive (very fast), CD (fast) or floppy (slow) then CD to D: and run a 'fixme.bat' file stored in D:.

The fixme.bat file is:
Code:
ghost -clone,mode=pload,src=d:\images\fixdrive.gho:1,dst=1:1 -rb -sure

This scripts the Ghost executable stored on D: to automatically re-image the C: partition from the partition image stored on D: then reboot automatically. This usually takes just a couple of minutes (< 2 mins on a Compaq DC7100) and provides a completely fresh environment with software, printers, etc. already configured.

In practice it actually only takes just a few seconds because once the batch file is started it automatically re-boots the PC after re-imaging.

I'll admit it took a little time and effort to set things up initially but after that it's just been 'fire and forget'.

I provide local staff with boot media, i.e. USB pendrive (very fast), CD (fast) or floppy (slow) that does all the re-imaging of each PC automatically.

Hope this helps...

Hi Arito,

Oops... In fairness, I should have mentioned that the organisation in which I work is currently in (heated) discussion about which method of re-imaging support is best, i.e.:

1) Standardised desktop image delivered via PXE (Approx. 4.5 minutes per PC [dependent on bandwidth utilisation] but needs [often] time-consuming individualisation afterwards [e.g. non-standard software, printers, etc.]) plus WSUS updating.

OR

2) Individualised desktop image based on standard desktop image plus non-standard software and printing then maintained by 'fixme.gho' Ghost re-imaging (Approx. 2.5 minutes for, e.g. Compaq DC7100) plus WSUS updating.

I have no idea at this moment which of the 2 models (or a hybrid) will be adopted.

Anyway, once again, I hope this helps to give you something to think about...

Rick998

The problem with your method is that I have more than one image. Different image for different courses etc. Otherwise it would've been great. But thanks still

I've had some problems with creating an image. I'm using Ghost console with "Run MS Sysprep on this machine before creating the image", SID change and MiniSetup.
The image create task works normally until the client is rebooted after the cloning and mini setup should start.

The Desktop gives me this:

Starting PC DOS...
xx.xx.xx:1346 sending status to xx.xx.xx:1347
xx.xx.xx:1346 acknowledged by xx.xx.xx:1347
Received message Message<Clone>{ Name= "Serverpull1" }
Received message Message<TaskInProgress>{ Cancel = 1 }
Received message Message<HasGhostBootPartition>{}
xx.xx.xx:1346 disconnected from xx.xx.xx:1347
xx.xx.xx:1346 disconnected from xx.xx.xx:1347
And it continues and continues... Reboot doesn't help. Neither disabling firewall from server.
After I unplugged the network cable it gives an error (saying something about unplugged cable, not getting address from dhcp and something else), boots and starts Windows and mini setup. I have no idea what causes this and couldn't find anything from Symantec's website. This doesn't cause much harm but is annoying.

I run across this occasionally when using the Ghost console.
I THINK that its caused because the virtual ghost partician has gotten corrupted. I found that an easy fix for it is to run a Refresh configuration or refresh inventory -or- both as a task on that machine from the ghost console. It fixes it probably 95% of the time for me. If it doesn't then I end up doing a FDisk and Format on the drive and re-ghosting it..

Hope that this helps.
Sorry for the delayed responce

Mikeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back