Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloning windows 98 hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

samh76

Technical User
Jan 1, 2021
US
I have a Compaq Windows 98 SE system that I want to clone the hard disk. I have Norton Ghost 15 and I figured I could plug a spare IDE drive either into the 98 computer's USB port or the port on my Windows 7 computer (they are networked together).

Do I need to partition the disk I'm going to be using the image on (i.e. the cloned disk) first? Do I need to boot off a 98 floppy first? Never done this before and wondering about the finer points of it all. My plan was to image to image the new drive.

Thanks,
Sam

I used acronis to clone a windows 98 system before. the clone was hdd to hdd. the disk was cloned as is. the clone will work just fine if you will plug it in a new system unit. but you will need to update on the drivers if they have different hardwares.

First off, we have to know what you are doing running Windows 98!!!

I don't know that you can clone via a USB connected external drive - never did that. I would make it another IDE-connected hard drive and then you can boot from the Ghost Boot CD or floppy and do the clone. Obviously you have to make one the master and one the slave. Hard to remember this ancient stuff (IDE).

You don't have to partition the disk. Ghost will nuke the target disk and clone to it as I recall.

But rather than relying on ancient software, you might try more modern cloning software that comes free on the Ultimate Boot CD or maybe Macrium Free. Though they may not support 98 any longer. You're in a "trapped in time" situation.
Link

Ghost or the free Acronis that is available via WD or Seagate if you have either of their drives as source or target. I used an earlier Acronis to clone a multiple partitioned SE with no issues. But agree that it would probably be better to do it with both drives internal and running the clone software without OS involvement.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back