Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloning Mermail Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

spearce001

Technical User
Sep 14, 2004
US
I have the Mermail Drive from my 11c, I was wondering what others used to clone it? I have Norton's Ghost 2003, and it detects that the drive is there but I cannot select it for cloning, this is in DOS, in the Windows Version it does not even detect the drive although Windows does and wants to write to it in Disk Management. Any ideas or suggestions?

you'll need a scsi drive software clone. i've never done it that way. i did an install at a gov site where we did a replace on the hd, (new install and restore from backup) so they could have a clone on the shelf

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

If you clone the drive in Ghost, make sure you run it in DOS.

1. Make sure you execute Ghost with: ghost.exe -ir (forensic image option). Do NOT mark drives for Ghost when prompted.

2. If you have the same make/model hard drive, you can use Disk-to-Disk cloning.

3. If you want to clone to a .GHO image, you need to have another hard drive attached to the system with a partition that is readable to the DOS FAT/FAT32 filesystem (non-NTFS); or if you have network connectivity from DOS (via NDIS/ODI drivers), you can map a drive and write the image to a location of your choice.

Hope this helps.

Andy

I tried the way where I map a drive to a network resource but the drive I am trying to copy (MerMail) still cannot be selected in ghost for cloning, it is listed but greyed out..

oops, forgot the -ir, that worked like a charm, thanks a bunch Andy!!

I think I ma too late on the backup, Ghost gave me a few errors about bad blocks, seems the Telephone support personel who where here before me did not do any backups, I cannot even find the backup drive!! The problem that originally started this was that VM had gone done, a few times we where able to pull the card and re-insert it and it would come back up, but now it will not do even that...

I hope your switch and VMS is under maintenance. Either case, once you get a working unit, it wouldn't hurt to run a forensic backup as CYA practice in case nobody gives the equipment tender and love.

You can do a SCSI disk clone with Linux.
Install the hard disk onto a PC with a SCSI interface to hook it up, and then use the dd (Disk Dump) utility to have the disk entirely copied. Lets say your source scsi disk is identified as /dev/sdb. You have two choices:
1) copy the entire disk onto a linux file
dd if=/dev/sdb of=cloned_disk_file.bkp

2) copy the entire disk onto another scsi disk, /dev/sdc for example
dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc

If life was simple, it would not be complicated.

Your challenge with cloning/ghosting/mirroring a Meridian Mail hardrive may be that Meridian Mail runs on a version of Unix. The Linux idea sounds like your best bet for success. Or if there is something available for Unix disk cloning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back