Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloning Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameshall

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
GB
Hi All,

I am doing some research into setting up a Jumpstart solution in my organisation. I have setup up a simple Jumpstart server and this is okay.

My concern is how to recovery quickly the current servers that have not be created by Jumpstart. We have over a Sun 100 servers of varying configurations, does anyone know of a method to create an archive (root disk) of these servers?

If anyone one can provide some guidence it would be appreciated.

Regards

James

dito, ufsdump of the most precios FS /, /usr and /var
or copy the whole disk (s2 to tape), but FS dumps are first choice...

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

I have used
a) dd
b) Veritas
c) LiveUpgrade
d) flarcreate

Live Upgrade is a free Sun utility which creates a clone of your boot environment, and allows you to upgrade an Alternate Boot environment while your server is still in production. I use it for that purpose, but I also use it as a redundant boot mechanism.

flarcreate is of course a method to create a flash archive of a host. I think it is best run in single user mode, with only the boot disk mounted. I have just a modicum of experience with it, but it also looks like an intriguing option.

You can use Jumpstart to to make Flash archives of all partitions on the disk if you like. I forget what the command is but its in the Jumpstart BluePrints book. I would look it up but I dont have my book with me.

One thing to note... dont attempt to Flash archive a database. It will result in a corupted archive and you wont get an error untill you try to use it. If you do make the archive in single user mode.

-bjensen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back