Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloning a Vista Machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronBeau

MIS
Jan 29, 2008
US
I currently purchased a new hard drive for my laptop and I want to clone my Vista install. I have a lot of programs and settings so I would prefer not deal with a fresh install.

What I Tried:
- Used HDClone 3.62 to clone my original drive
- Booted to Vista DVD and Repaired the new disk
- Booted to Vista DVD again and ran Startup Repair
- Tried to start Windows...explorer won't come up and my drive letters are reversed.

Does anyone know how to properly clone a Vista machine?
Thank you for your help.

----------------------------
Beau71 - MCSA

Did any drive copying software come with your new hard drive or is it available on the manufacturer's site?

Which Acronis version do you use. I am looking at Acronis True Image Home 2009 and True Image Echo Workstation?

Beau71 - MCSA

Privately I use Paragon and the SystemRescueCD (Live Linux CD)...

at work I use mainly Acronis True Image Echo Server (company thing)...

Terabyte, as per Linney's suggestion, should work equally well, just like the Acronis and Paragon... it's basically a matter of choice and budget...

works just as good, not as easy to use, but can't beat the price...

SystemRescueCd

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Of course if you have Vista Ultimate or Business, then that has "Complete PC Backup" which is already installed and therefor free to use.

I appreciate everyone's help with this. I decided to go with Paragon Hard Disk Manager (ended up costing $50). Once I installed the software, all I had to do was go to the "Maintenance" button and run the "Hard Disk Migration" and did a full drive migration using the "Partition Raw Copy" option.

After that ran, I just plugged in the new hard drive and it WORKED!!

Once again thank you for all your suggestions and help, I ended up choosing Paragon because they were more willing to talk to me pre-sale and guarantee that their product work.

Beau71 - MCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back