Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloning 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

dporrelli

Programmer
Dec 18, 2002
GB
We are upgrading the HD in our server, but I am struggling to find an application that will let me clone it, I tried Ghost V.9 but says incompatible OS.

Thanks in advance.

I just went through this issue and ended using Ranish Partition Manager 2.42. There is a site that explains how to use this or ghost very detailed. All you have to do with this one is download it put Part.exe on a floppy, boot from it and chose to copy the Harddrive. I'm not sure how long it takes cause I just let it run over night, but it did a fine job. It might not move over the network settings if I recall, but otherwise it worked great. Hope this helps

We use an older, DOS version of Ghost (I can get the version number if you need it) where we boot to a DOS USB drive (or floppy) with network drivers & then launch Ghost. We just rolled out over 100 servers on 2003 with Ghost. Are you having issues specifically with Exchange 2003 or Windows Server 2003?

Thanks,

Tom

TMiyake:

Thanks for that, the problem seems to be with Server 2003, if you can point me in the direction of where to get a version of Ghost that will work, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The version we use is 7.5. If you want to boot it up on net, you have to have a DOS bootable floppy or USB drive. Then you have to get the NDIS drivers and manually configure the network configuration. In your case, I would recommend making a DOS bootable USB drive without network drivers & have the ghost.exe on it. Have the new drive setup as a master and the old drive as a slave. Boot off the USB drive and launch Ghost. Then do a disk to disk clone. Just make sure you pick the right source & destination disks, otherwise you'll wipe out the data on your drive. You should be able to tell which drive is the bigger drive in the software.
If you don't have that version available and your licensed on the newer software, I can send you a copy of it. Just let me know what your email address is. Making the USB drive bootable to DOS is a little tricky. I found a site awhile ago that had images for floppies to make a bootable DOS 6.22 disk. Let me know if you need those files too.

Thanks,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back