Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloning 2000 with Drive Image PRo 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukjane

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
GB
I am about to clone a Windows 2000 machine with Drive Image Pro, and am concerned about duplicate SID's. Usually in the past my collegues have just cloned them and not worried about it, but I am reading about using a SID changer. My question is, if I clone it and the SID is unique what problems will this cause.

And, if you change the Network ID of a machine does this change the SID?.

Thanks..

Not changing the SID could (it doesn't usually) cause security/authentication problems in a domain. Not sure if just changing the name will change the SID... Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

Hi Heath,

I looked into this further. Changing the name doesn't change the SID unfortunately.

There is a tool called SysPrep on th Windows 2000 Resource Kit, you need to install a few files to the c:\ and run this program after cloning or as part of the image.

This sysprep utility runs through a mini-setup routine, which you can write an answer file, so you aviod the prompts. Or, you can let it run, it prompts you to change the name and everything, which is always a bonus when you're cloning so you don't forget.

It's a good tool, which I don't usually say about Microsoft bits. You never know my company might send me on a 2K course soon, stranger things have happened.!!

Thanks,

Jane

Yes - we use SysPrep for all of our images - sorry I didn't offer that before, I just thought you wanted to know if not changing the SID would cause a problem!! We also use it to port a master image across all of our hardware platforms by forcing it to re-enumerate plug and play devices. Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

Have a question regarding sysprep and using disk image.

After installing all applications, etc on the source machine i've run system manager to create an answer file. I then ran sysprep to clear all information. I now want to clone the machine with disk image but i now have to enter 2000 setup again on the source machine after the machine shut down.

I was under the impression from a reading a few sources that you ran sysprep before imaging the drive but reading above and from what i'm seeing.....you first image then run sysprep?

thanks

proudusa,

We always use sysprep first, not sure about windows 2000, but the xp sysprep allows you to have an unattended install . After the image is made, we use ghost, the machine goes through its cycle and leaves you at a logon prompt. Sysprep allows you to even join a domain if you want it that specific.

Jeremy,

Here's what i've done: installed all apps, printers, etc. on the source machine, ran system manager to create customized answer file then ran sysprep. Following sysprep the PC shuts down.

When i restart the computer it asks me again for computer name, etc. So i just go in and create an image after placing all the information again? Thought i needed to sysprep prior to imaging but having to enter the info again during reboot seems to defeat the purpose no ? first time doing an automated install....thanks for the help

After the answer file has been created and you have run sysprep you have to image the machine. We boot off a diskette and run ghost to create the image. We boot to the network and run ghost off the network and store the image there.

Hope this helps

thanks oh,

created the boot disks so now i'm booting to DOS and creating the image.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back